Menu

Learning French

4our4

We'll be going to Quebec this August and thought it would be fun to learn a bit of French along the way. We bought the HS version of Rosetta Stone and did really well during Christmas break. Unfortunately, since we started back with school in Jan we've put the French aside. I think the committment of everyday for a half hour is too much after we've completed their school schedule. I'd hate to be all (everyday) or nothing (which we're doing now). Any suggestions as to how much time should we devote to French - would once a week for a half hour be enough? twice?

I've tried - it's even on their school schedule. But we leave it for last, to be done once the rest of school is finished. Of course, by then the kids minds are fried and we leave it for tomorrow. I guess, if I really want it done, it should go first. We'll make sure math gets done even if it is last.

It might be that your children are a little young for RS at this point; it requires a lot of focus to learn from it, as your mind has to be figuring out the puzzle of what they are saying.

At the age of your children, (I'm deducing from other posts), the approach might need to be a bit more movement oriented. Audio forum has a good tape and book series as well as Opal Dunn with games and tapes. The word "tape" tells you how long ago we used the programs.

I'm not sure if this is the same - but it sounds like it with games and songs.

Play and Learn French

The audio forum we used was something like this - but I can't be sure it is the same...If it is the same, it had songs with motions - like "put your hand on your head". And games like "Simon says"... in French of course to help them learn through play.

Phrase a Day

Joan

It might be that your children are a little young for RS at this point; it requires a lot of focus to learn from it, as your mind has to be figuring out the puzzle of what they are saying.

I'm not sure if this is the same - but it sounds like it with games and songs.

Play and Learn French

Hi, I am not good at French. But two years ago we had to go to Paris for a while so I got RS French and also the book Joan in Geneva mentioned.

I totally agree with her.

My 7yr-old could not use RS as long time as I could. She preferred the Play and Learn French, and even better, Muzzy French. She could watch and use them everyday for more than 30 minutes and actually carried some conversation when we were there.

But of course, without practicing, we both forgot quite a bit.

Good luck,