Menu

watership down - age appropriate for 10 and 8 yo?

Guest Lorna

I actually knew the daughter of the author and he's not, um, a children's man. He is very much an intellectual and I am certain his books are meant to be taken this way. Thinking of it as a challenging adult book which happens to feature animals instead of people as heroes would help.

I agree with Jenny, you could read it just now but perhaps they would get more out of it at a later age. There are so many wonderful books out there for eight and ten. :lurk5:

Y'know, I've read a lot of the classics to my dd8--things that are appropriate, but not always given to such young kids.

But, I'd wait on Watership Down. In fact, I'd wait until high school. It's a perfect compliment to gov't studies.

I would wait. I just started to read it to my 12 and 13yos a few months back and they were all excited about it for a while, then their interest just dropped. It's not a light tale about fluffy bunny rabbits! We didn't finish it because it was an evening read aloud and they didn't want me to read it anymore. They are not particularly sensitive kids, I just think the story is written to an older audience, personally. I wish I had waited.

I will assign it for school reading in another year or two.