Menu

Cleaning. Organizing. Purging. Thanks to 7yo boy...

So ds7 has seemed...off lately. Sad? Sick? Allergies? Dh & I have gone round & round talking about what it might be. We've gone to extra efforts to have time alone w/ him, less strict discipline (he's a really good kid, but 1st born, so you understand the tendency to be too strict?), etc.

He's seemed a little more cheerful, & then last night, he started talking. About how messy our apt is. And small, & cramped. Well, *I've* been feeling it lately, but no one else in the fam usually notices, kwim? *I've* been "off" & haven't been getting as much done, plus, baby's walking & just entered that age where she likes to empty shelves & walk away. :glare:

So ds starts talking about wanting a house. I explain that w/ babies, you have to expect a certain level of mess anyway. That w/ pg mamas, there are things that won't get done. Etc.

BUT...I'd gotten a bunch of organizing books at the library last week when *I* couldn't take it any more, so he & I looked through them together this AM. We've already gotten a couple of bookshelves for his room, for better toy storage, & we hung a pegboard by the art table, which he & I both love, but I've been looking at other things, too. Like more uniform color schemes, etc.

So I asked him if he'd like to help make some decisions, etc, & we've been working all morning. We've made a huge mess! But we're both cheered by the thought of a fresh look, & I *hope* I've hit upon the problem at last.

Dd5 is up now, though, & she's lured him to the bedroom, to hide from me & play, so I'm on my own for a while. Anyone else cleaning today?? :D

It's looking so nice after just an hr or so, I think I may post before & after pics later.

Is it really after 11 am? And my inlaws are really getting here at 3 pm? And I really am on day 2 with no shower? Ack!

I am off to clean the bathrooms. Every time I come here I get stuck reading all the things I've missed. But I NEED to clean! Also I need to clean the kitchen - we had a Chinese food extravaganza yesterday and today, and oy, the dishes.

I am so excited for you and the decluttering! I have a friend who's helping me with that a little bit, too. Our church has a swap coming up, like a yard sale but everything is free, so I have a LOT of stuff that's going there and that will empty out quite a bit of clutter. Woo hoo!

Will you tell me which book you like best about organizing? Which one gave you the most useful tips, the most practical philosophy, etc? That would be lovely!

Is it really after 11 am? And my inlaws are really getting here at 3 pm? And I really am on day 2 with no shower? Ack!

I am off to clean the bathrooms. Every time I come here I get stuck reading all the things I've missed. But I NEED to clean! Also I need to clean the kitchen - we had a Chinese food extravaganza yesterday and today, and oy, the dishes.

I am so excited for you and the decluttering! I have a friend who's helping me with that a little bit, too. Our church has a swap coming up, like a yard sale but everything is free, so I have a LOT of stuff that's going there and that will empty out quite a bit of clutter. Woo hoo!

Will you tell me which book you like best about organizing? Which one gave you the most useful tips, the most practical philosophy, etc? That would be lovely!

Actually, there's not one. I just like the pictures. They're soothing, lol!

One of the things that got me last night were the color schemes. I've always discounted that part, because I thought of it as cheating. When I worked as a closet designer, all of our pics showed closets half-filled with only blue clothes. Of course they looked good.

But last night, it hit me that a) w/ overstuffed bookshelves & uber-dark furniture, we've got a lot of chaos in the color area in here & b) soothing colors might help w/ the smallness of our space.

I've been reading a book about highly sensitive people that was rec on the accelerated boards, & it's helped A LOT. It helps me understand why this kind of chaos bothers me so. deeply. And it helps me to watch out for similar reactions in my dc.

I figure even if I'm wrong, the house will look better. We'll all benefit from that. Mostly it's the cluttery stuff like hs supplies, but I'm moving those to cabinets w/ doors & putting all of my matching dishes out, kwim? The *effect* is uniformity, but the "stuff" is mostly the same.

I am bribing , ahem I mean rewarding, my children with friends sleeping over to get the last bit of unpacking done that I need. And then last bit of cleaning and I am free! Until the moment the 3 yr old gets something out. Isn't it wonderful to have a new clean organized space? My husband cannot stand clutter. It really messes with him. After being out in the world he cant stand to come home to a cluttery space. He is very kind and understanding that wih 5 kids and homeschooling it doesn't always happen like I would hope. But he is such a calmer happier person if his space is neat and oderly. So I have been decluttering also. And trying to get more shelves and a space for everything. So on that note I need to get off the computer and get to work. :D Have fun.