Menu

Does anyone have Telling God's Story yet, that can tell us more about it?

Penelope

I'd love to hear more about this from someone who has the books in hand. :lurk5:

I think you might be talking about the grade 1 curriculum, which I don't have, but I do have the parent guide. I just finished reading the whole thing today, and I really enjoyed it. It gave me an idea of an overall structure on how to teach the Bible to my children. And it made sense. And it didn't give me the feeling that I need to get all bogged down in detail, character studies, extracting personal lessons from every single verse/passage. It was more about introducing the overall structure of the Bible, the overall message; in a beginning, middle, and end fashion. It's like nothing I've ever read before, and it was very refreshing and freeing.

We have it, but we haven't been great about getting around to actually doing it...I have the book you read from and the activity guide. We've done maybe 3 or 4 lessons so far. I like the way the stories are told and explained to the kids, and the parent notes are helpful. I'm impressed with the level of analysis he expects such young kids to grapple with (and the way he explains difficult concepts in an accessible way). I haven't seen anything yet to make me question the claim that the curriculum should work well across denominations. I'm not super thrilled with the activity guide, but, then, it may be just that I'm not so good with activities. There's definitely not as much to it as the SOTW activity guide, though; it's all activity suggestions, coloring sheets, etc. no review questions, mapwork, extra reading suggestions. I was hoping that, even though it's targeted at first grade, I'd be able to use it for all my kids (K through 4th). DS9 listens to the stories with us, but it's definitely on the simplistic side for him.