Menu

Overseas highschooling...please help

Okay, here's the scoop...I hope someone can advise me.

We live in Japan (16 years) We've always homeschooled.

We've never been long enough in the States to report to "the state" that we are homeschooling. Though our residence state is "North Carolina". We have driver's licenses, taxes, etc. there.

My son will be in high school next year. Currently he is taking 3 classes from Potter's school and math and Japanese are all independent.

The plan for next year is to continue taking at least 3-4 classes (Science, History, English II, Latin) w/Potter's. They are not "accredited" per say. My plan is just to simply print out their "grades" sheet at the end of the year, along with making a nice folder of essays, labs, and special projects per course. Put those grades on homemade transcript along w/mom grades for Math and Japanese.

My questions are:

(1) How does my son take an SAT/ACT (with no school code). How do I obtain one? (He will likely take it at a Private American Christian School here in Japan if we can.) So will they ask us for a code or give us one?

(2) Do we really need accrediation?

Here are the an example of our top colleges we are thinking of:

Wheaton

Biola

Covenant College, Chattanooga

UNC-North Carolina, Raleigh

Columbia International School (Columbia, SC)

(3) When he completes all high school requirements (we are just looking to fulfill our college choices above req. credits) Can I issue him a "diploma" If I just buy one online (meaning the nice piece of paper) and call it a day? Is that really enough?

(4) We have little or no money for college. So, we will try to apply for Scholarships of course, but will not having "accredidation" keep us from receiving aid or scholarships?

Thank you for your time.

I would appreciate esp. hearing from overseas folks.

Thanks.

(1) How does my son take an SAT/ACT (with no school code). How do I obtain one? (He will likely take it at a Private American Christian School here in Japan if we can.) So will they ask us for a code or give us one?

The homeschool code for the SAT is 970000 and the homeschool code for the ACT is 969999. http://www.hslda.org/highschool/testing.asp

(2) Do we really need accrediation?

Here are the an example of our top colleges we are thinking of:

Wheaton

Biola

Covenant College, Chattanooga

UNC-North Carolina, Raleigh

Columbia International School (Columbia, SC)

No. Some colleges require extra documentation (SAT IIs), but most do not.

(3) When he completes all high school requirements (we are just looking to fulfill our college choices above req. credits) Can I issue him a "diploma" If I just buy one online (meaning the nice piece of paper) and call it a day? Is that really enough?

Yes.

(4) We have little or no money for college. So, we will try to apply for Scholarships of course, but will not having "accredidation" keep us from receiving aid or scholarships?

No. :D High test scores helped my ds the most.

ETA: Since you already have a short list of colleges your dc is intersted in, you should contact them and establish interest as well as get information about their homeschooler admissions and possible scholarships.

Edited by FloridaLisa

The homeschool code for the SAT is 970000

I'm not sure that it really matters, but foreign homeschool codes are different.

I've been given one specifically for Switzerland - 997999, though for the PSAT they used the general one below.

The general foreign homeschool code - 995599.

You can write the College Board to check for Japan. Over here, the issue seems to be more that the school doesn't want a possibly lower grade to be counted in their stats. (Though they could be missing out on a higher grade).

But if you end up using an umbrella school, you can use their school code. Then they'll get a copy of your records.

We just started using an umbrella school this year when it became clear that to apply to foreign universities it would be better to have a more official document (this is for here where almost no one homeschools high school). But the one we are using is not "accredited", though it is registered as a school in FL. If you go that path, it would be better to start in 9th. It was an enormous amount of work to backtrack. Thankfully in 10th grade I'd used Homeschool Tracker Plus which really helped with the record keeping and thankfully we had the hours and subjects.

It is true that you can issue your own diploma. What that diploma means is what you make of it - the rigor that you put into the courses effects what the schools think of it. And the rigor that you put into the courses probably at least partly determines the success of your student in college...

We don't really have experience with the accreditation issue, but there are issues of having a high enough standard for your courses...When you are aiming for the SAT II or AP exams, then the courses may be more rigorous. This is not necessarily the case, there are people who have designed their own courses with different objectives that the CB, where the student is challenged. But it depends how much time you have to develop such courses, how motivated the student is - if he is the type that develops his own courses, what materials you have at your disposition, etc. It can be easier to follow a predetermined list of objectives such as what you have for the SATs and APs. When the student is doing more rigorous coursework which is then validated with an outside test, the school knows something about the outside test, whereas it is hard for them to figure out what material was covered in a course that is not validated with an outside test. That doesn't mean you have to do outside tests for every subject. Already the SAT covers a certain level of math and English. But if your children are interested in a science track, then a SAT II or AP Math or science test would probably be good.

I would recommend a certain amount of time spent studying paths people have taken on the WTM boards...eg you could search the schools you listed to find people whose children have gone to them. Then you could search their posts or PM them to get an idea of what they did, as well as do what Lisa suggested about contacting the colleges directly.

Another issue is the strengths of your children - whether they are more literature or more science oriented, so you can make sure they are doing the harder coursework in the areas they would likely pursue.

Lisa mentioned that good test scores helped most for scholarships. So you need to do the preparatory coursework so that your children are ready to take the higher level courses that prepare for that test. (as an example, I'd say that my ds did not do science at a more difficult level in Jr. Hi. so he wasn't quite ready for high school science.

If you join the hs2coll Yahoo group, they discuss aid and scholarships at great length. If you search the archives, you will find a lot of information.

Living overseas requires doing a bit more homework, but with all the online courses available, esp through PA Homeschoolers, I think it is easier than before. And there are people on the WTM boards who seem to live far away from other homeschoolers, who are almost in the same position, except that they could just drive to a convention which would not be an option for us.:001_smile: PLUS you have this great resource of the WTM boards with all the people who have paved the way before you!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

In NC you have to register with the state to legally homeschool, maintain attendance records, immunization records and complete a yearly nationally normed standardized test (e.g. Iowa). The state maintains a list of all of those legally homeschooling in NC.

I'm new to NC so I am certainly not an expert, but I think you could have a potential problem applying as an in-state homeschooler at a state university without being able to demonstrate that you were legally homeschooling in NC. I don't think you would have any problem applying as a non-NC resident, but then, of course, you would have to pay out of state tuition. I would suggest asking on one of the NC homeschool boards if some of the more experienced NC homeschoolers don't chime in here (or repost message here with NC in the title to bring the post to their attention.

You definitely do not need to use "accredited" classes in NC. Although as others mentioned, you may need some additional SAT II's depending on the school.

Nancy

My son will be in high school next year. Currently he is taking 3 classes from Potter's school and math and Japanese are all independent.

... Put those grades on homemade transcript along w/mom grades for Math and Japanese.

We just left Kanagawa Pref. I can't offer the best counsel on most of your questions, but have you looked into the Japanese exams offered to non-native speakers? The daughter of a friend of ours (also homeschooling) just took her first level and got a great score.

This is something that would give you a validation of your ds's language level, both for college applications and for future employment.

(I did something similar with German when we lived there. It was one of the most wracking tests I've ever taken, but I'm so glad I did it. It is a much more useful certificate than many others that I could have taken.)

We just left Kanagawa Pref. I can't offer the best counsel on most of your questions, but have you looked into the Japanese exams offered to non-native speakers? The daughter of a friend of ours (also homeschooling) just took her first level and got a great score.

This is something that would give you a validation of your ds's language level, both for college applications and for future employment.

(I did something similar with German when we lived there. It was one of the most wracking tests I've ever taken, but I'm so glad I did it. It is a much more useful certificate than many others that I could have taken.)

Thanks, I'll look into it. A Good thought for sure.

:)

Thanks, I'll look into it. A Good thought for sure.

:)

Here are the links my friend sent me for the Japanese test her dd took.

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jlpt.jp%2Fe%2F&h=3d3e8kePKuf99AeUbTq3-5vqaUA

http://jlpt.org/

http://www.jlpt.com

http://www.jpf.go.jp/jfla/?act=tpt&id=8

Also I was mucking about on the College Board website last night and noticed that there is a Japanese test under the SAT II Subject Tests. That might also be an option. (It doesn't look like Japanese is offered during every test date, so this might take some planning).

Yes, you need to register with the DNPE. If it is your state of residence then you should also have been paying state taxes or they'll get you for that too. Actually your state of residence should be whatever state you're paying taxes in. If your drivers license and address of permanent residence is NC you should have no problem but you might need to prove that you've been homeschooling legally. It's not hard. Just got to the DNPE website and copy off the letter of intent. Send it in, along with copy of your High School Degree and they'll send you a card back showing you are considered a home schooler. As a homeschooler you will need to keep attendance records (not hours, just days), immunization records and administer a standardized test (we use the CAT). The only thing they have a right, under the law, to see is the attendance records and you have no obligation to give it to them unless they come looking for it, then you stand on your doorstep give it to them and if they want more you remind them of the homeschool laws. I've homeschooled for 11 years and have never heard of anyone getting a home visit. They threaten them and ask you to send all that stuff in but they are legally overstepping their bounds. Anyway, you will need all that to prove that you are an in-state resident.

As to UNC-Chapel Hill. It is very competitive and there are special rules for homeschoolers. You must have a super great SAT, submit course descriptions, a portfolio, an essay and at least 2 references (if I remembering right). If you go to their website under freshmen admissions it will tell you exactly what they need from a homeschooler. We initially looked there but I thought what they wanted was way too much esp considering other state schools and Dd decided she really didn't want to go there anyway. It is very hard to get in to so be prepared to prove he is an excellent student with High SAT, AP exams if you can do them overseas etc.

I'd also go to the UNC Board of Governors site (I think that's where you need to go but you can always contact school directly which is probably better) to find out who they consider an in state resident. In the back of my mind I'm somehow thinking you have to have had physical residence in state for a year prior to attending college but that doesn't sound that right since we do have a lot of military living around here. I'd definitely check with the school.

Why are you living overseas? That might help us answer some of your residency questions.

Yes, you need to register with the DNPE.

Why are you living overseas? That might help us answer some of your residency questions.

Much depends on the reasons why someone is overseas, but in general, you maintain a residency in a state (voting, driver's license, tax obligations) even though you are not bound to observe state and local requirements for other purposes.

For example, when we lived in Germany and Japan*, our cars were registered in those countries, not in my state of residence of Virginia. I was bound to observe local national schooling requirements*, not the Virginia state laws.

Where things might get sticky is if you are hoping to get in state tuition for a NC college or university or get a state grant or scholarship. The fact that your family hasn't been present in the state, even though you maintained your residence, may complicate things. (I'm thinking of programs that assure a student of a slot or money if they make certain grades.)

I would suggest reaching out to groups who specialize in these matters. HSLDA, a state-wide homeschooling group, a professional organization or family support group that specializes in the area that has taken you overseas or other local expats come to mind. The OP mentioned that there was a local private school. You might check and see if their guidance office can offer some counsel or help you get in contact with other American families in similar stages of college hunting. The staff of your state legislator or congressional representative might also be able to get you onto the right path with regard to the in-state tuition and grant questions.

*As military stationed overseas, the extent of local laws that bound us were detailed in the Status of Forces Agreement. Expats are generally bound by more host nation laws than the military.

I'd suggest also creating a transcript of some sort.

Thanks everyone. I think, as I have understood it up to this point, unless I am in "residence" of NC, I'm not bound by NC HS laws. (One has to "reside" there) Yes, we do pay NC and Japanese taxes. We were told by other (missionaries/we are missionaries BTW) that we should plan to go back for our son's Junior year for a year to then "get in the system" report, etc. if we want to apply for state scholarships. I'm not sure that will work or not. Other overseas people have talked to their "states" and they claim that the state told them it's just not necessary for them to report to the state unless they are "in residence" there. So, I'm hearing conflicting reports, which is very confusing.

I guess I need to contact HSLDA, but I'm not a member.

It sounds like you are hearing answers to two different questions.

Some families are going home or sending kids back in order to have "in the system" reporting to the state before applying to college (possibly in order to ensure that they get in state tuition or qualify for a state scholarship program).

Others are pointing out that they don't have to follow state laws for schooling unless they are physically present in the state.

If some of your colleages are from states with no automatic scholarship then they might not feel any reason to return at all.

Since you have a handful of colleges that are of interest, why not contact them and inquire what documentation they require to grant in state rates for NC. (I think I used a driver's license and voter registration when I established my VA residency for grad school.) You can also find out directly from them what they are looking for in the way of transcripts and supporting documentation. (This last part may be online.)

I have had two applicants to UNC schools and no one has required any documentation that we were registered with the state so I don't think that will be a problem.

UNC Chapel Hill is very competitive and the application includes a detailed form to prove that you are a resident of NC. You can access a copy of this at this website to look over.

http://www.admissions.unc.edu/Apply/Download_Forms.html

There are special requirements for homeschoolers applying to UNC CH, including SAT subject tests.

Good luck. Ruth in NC