Menu

Off-topid: Help me buy a new range

My range has been dying for months.... At first, one element went.... It liked to shoot plasma balls at me while I was cooking. So I disconnected it. A few months later I noticed one of the elements heated to "high" regardless of where I set it so I disconnected that. I was down to 2 burners and the oven, and that was OK.... We are planning to remodel the house after DSS moves out (his bedroom is actually our formal dining room and when the time comes to remodel we plan to reorganize the living room, dining room, and kitchen areas) so we decided to put up with our kitchen's idiosycracies for another year or so. Well.... last night while we were sleeping DSS discovered my stash of elements, forgot (apparently) why we were down to 2 burners on the stove, and tried to "fix" the stove resulting in a direct short of our range. Thankfully he woke me to tell me what he had done and I went and flipped the breaker on the range to keep it from arcing and starting a fire, but now I need to buy a new range.

What do I look for? What do I want/need? What brands are good? What should I avoid?

I am range shopping right now and have my eye on Frigidaire's dual fuel. It has great reviews all over and offers the best of both worlds.

Many people are moving toward the induction cooktops, and the thought is that they will be the wave of the future replacing electric cooktops and beating out gas tops in popularity. However, all your pots and pans will need to be a certain quality stainless steel or dipped cast iron. Cast iron itself suppposedly can scratch it, but some use it anyway.

There are so many choices out there! As I am shopping I keep trying to remember it has to last a long, long time. Some ranges do everything, but the reviews tell a story of multiple repairs and dissapointment.

Many people are moving toward the induction cooktops, and the thought is that they will be the wave of the future replacing electric cooktops and beating out gas tops in popularity. However, all your pots and pans will need to be a certain quality stainless steel or dipped cast iron. Cast iron itself suppposedly can scratch it, but some use it anyway.

While it's true that a cast iron may scratch the top of an induction unit (or any smooth top for that matter), the nice part about induction is that you can put a paper towel, parchment paper or a silpat between the pot and the stove top (yes they are all perfectly safe) to prevent scratches. When cooking things like bacon the paper towel is particularly nice because then the paper towel can catch most of your grease splatters so there is very little to clean up afterward.

My coil range has been dying the slow death for over a year now, first one burner and then another and finally the bake element in the oven went. I've order an Electolux induction range, it should be arriving next week. But without any stove you may not be able to wait to order one.