Menu

Joining the ranks of afterschoolers soon... dd is returning to school...

is it such a bad thing that I'm excited about it? I love my dd, but I'm done with hsing. I have some health issues (brain tumour) that are affecting everything: my patience level, my hormones therefore my emotions, my energy levels, frequency, duration and type of pain as it relates to the tumour... I'm just seeing that she wants to go to school for grade 7 in September. We made the decision that it will be so. She is excited, we are excited for her. She's a very social creature and really wants a friend her own age to spend time with. In the meantime, I've ordered a Jump In writing for her as we haven't done much this year in terms of writing, and Apples Spelling because she is sick of Spelling Power. We have to boogey on with french so she will not be behind her peers. The rest will be a snap.

*sigh*

I'm so sad on one hand. Prior to these health issues, all was going so well. I never thought I would be typing the above. I never thought she'd go back so soon. I was prepared to hs through high school. It just feels like a weird twilight zone thing. :tongue_smilie:

I have TOG and logic and so we plan to continue to do these lightly on the weekends.

For those that made the transition from full-time hsing to afterschooling, any tips?

I am so sorry to hear about your health issues and wish you the best. :grouphug: I have never homeschooled, but it sounds like your daughter is ready. Please don't stress about your daughter's preparation for 7th grade. Not all the kids in the public school will be in the same place with writing, spelling, etc. They have all had different teachers over the years who emphasized different areas. Just because they have a standard does not mean they are meeting it. :glare: Best of luck with everything!

*sigh*

I'm so sad on one hand. Prior to these health issues, all was going so well. I never thought I would be typing the above. I never thought she'd go back so soon. I was prepared to hs through high school. It just feels like a weird twilight zone thing. :tongue_smilie:

I'm so sorry. I feel your pain and understand your excitement at the same time. It is exciting and new, but I was taken by surprise when my ds17 went into ps in 9th, too. It's scary because you thought you'd have more time to prepare them (for the social challenges as well) and suddenly, off they go, ready or not.

For those that made the transition from full-time hsing to afterschooling, any tips?

It's great you're planning to afterschool. US schools are in a bad state! My biggest piece of advice to be routine, organized, and well-disciplined. You'll likely get heavy resistance eventually because "no one else has to do this!" (which isn't true, by the way!), but be persistent.

My dc are younger (3rd and 4th), but additional work after school wouldn't work well for them or me. I'm not nearly disciplined enough and our evening schedule isn't nearly consistent enough to make after school afterschooling very effective. We "before"school every day.

You've got support here! Good luck.

Karyn, I'm so sorry ;( On top of that, I'm sending you a pm :) She'll do great!! My daughter is loving it, and while it wasn't my "best" for her.... it is working, and she will be a successful young adult, in spite of what she's dealing with. (she's in 7th/age 12 this year, so is that the same age your daughter will be?? )

:)

We sent our 8 yo dd to school in January. I still have 3 more at home. It was a much easier transition than I anticipated, and we all feel such a stress relief. Sad, perhaps, on the one hand; but, on the other, the dd in school is doing much, much better, too.

Before this year, I would have never imagined that we would be in this situation either, but sometimes life happens and you just have to roll with it, and pray for God's grace through it all. I am thankful we have a decent school public school right in our neighborhood to get us through this time.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

I completey understand. I have thyroid problems and figured that letting my girls go to school this year would help. For me it really didn't but did. I have found sending my girls to school is more work than it ever was homeschooling. LOL. But then I sent 4 to school not 1.

I hope that things will turn around for you. Its so hard to deal with health problems. I too wanted to homeschool all the way through yet found that what I want and what God wants are two different things.

I will admit my oldest will be coming home as the school is dropping their 7th and 8th grades, I would like for all my girls to be home but it isn't quite set in stone yet as to what we're going to do with the other three.

Know your daughter will do just fine. My girls adjusted really well and they do just fine. I didn't need to prep them for anything.

It did take me quite a long time to get 'used' to my children being gone. I think I had more problems with it than my children did. Its almost March and I'm just starting to get used to the whole 'school thing'. Not completely but sort of. Its a harder adjustment for mom than it is for kids.