Menu

X-post: anyone use Khan Academy as part of math core?

I'm planning what to do for my son who will be 8th grade next year. Math is not his strong suit. I'm really hoping to do many classes online. I absolutely LOVE the lessons on Khan Academy and believe they'd be quite thorough, but wondered if anyone has tied these into any specific textbook at the pre-algebra level. Or even used it as a mainstay in your plans.

I was also looking at The Potters School or Derek Owens or even Landry, but sure would be nice to get the free ones on Khan if I could tie these into a math text.

Would love to hear how anyone has incorporated these into your homeschool.

I just figured out a HUGE key to using Khan Academy. Gotta watch this video where he explains some amazing behind the scenes stuff for parents/teachers and students. I get it! Still would like to correlate it with a text, but maybe that's not as important with supports like this in place. I have to say his software and tracking paradigm beats all I've seen on the math scene.

Would still love to hear from anyone using this :bigear:

Well, we're not using it as the core to ds math---more as a supplement to the topics that don't get explained very well in his math book. So, when he was learning about distributing, I showed him how to do it, but then also had him watch Khan so he could have a more detailed (and knowledgeable!) explanation.