Menu

Parenting with Love and Logic

I haven't read that one, but we used the early childhood love and logic book during an ECFE class that my dd and I attend once a week, and I hated it. It was so dramatic. Much of it was along the lines of, "Damien's parents didn't use our methods, and spent his childhood torturing kittens and doing drugs. Angelica's parents did use these techniques, and she went on to attend Harvard and rule the world."

Okay, I exaggerate. Very slightly. I'd avoid the early childhood one like the plague, though.

As for your question about religion, the one we used didn't have any religious content that I remember.

Totally, although you might find the book itself a hard read unless you can skim the Biblical passages. The core of the program though can be totally secular. It's about giving kids 2 choices, letting them pick (or picking for them if they refuse), and then letting them live with the consequences. For example, would you like to brush your teeth or put your pjs on first? You need to go to your room. Would you like to walk or would you like me to carry you? And so forth. :)

I took a Love and Logic class when I was pregnant with my first child. It was completely secular. I thought it was worthwhile...it focuses on logical consequences for actions, but staying light-hearted while using empathy. For instance, if your child constantly forgets to bring a jacket with him, they say to quit reminding him. If he complains about being cold, you say, "I'm sorry you're cold...that's too bad. It's okay, next time just remember to bring your jacket." (Or something like that.) The key is not to sound sarcastic (which I'll admit is hard for me:tongue_smilie:). I didn't agree with everything in the class, but I thought the overall message was great, about putting the responsibility on the child, and staying calm.

ETA: We are a non-Christian family.

Edited by funschooler5
clarification :)

Totally, although you might find the book itself a hard read unless you can skim the Biblical passages. The core of the program though can be totally secular. It's about giving kids 2 choices, letting them pick (or picking for them if they refuse), and then letting them live with the consequences. For example, would you like to brush your teeth or put your pjs on first? You need to go to your room. Would you like to walk or would you like me to carry you? And so forth. :)

I didn't know it was a Christian program. I didn't read the actual book, though. I did buy the "Helicopters, Drill Sergeants and Consultants," tape and there wasn't anything religious on it, that I remember. That's interesting, maybe there are two versions of the program? Or maybe they keep the classes themselves secular.

I haven't read that one, but we used the early childhood love and logic book during an ECFE class that my dd and I attend once a week, and I hated it. It was so dramatic. Much of it was along the lines of, "Damien's parents didn't use our methods, and spent his childhood torturing kittens and doing drugs. Angelica's parents did use these techniques, and she went on to attend Harvard and rule the world."

Okay, I exaggerate. Very slightly. I'd avoid the early childhood one like the plague, though.

As for your question about religion, the one we used didn't have any religious content that I remember.

:lol: Yes that would irk me too, profoundly.

Maybe I'll look in the library before I buy it.

Much of it was along the lines of, "Damien's parents didn't use our methods, and spent his childhood torturing kittens and doing drugs. Angelica's parents did use these techniques, and she went on to attend Harvard and rule the world."

I wouldn't discount a book for that. I think they *all* read that way!!!

Btw, I have Love & Logic on my nightstand and everytime I pick it up, I get better about the consequences/empathy drill. I really think it is quite good :).

Lisaj, who thinks she may have parented "Damien" when she meant to be parenting "Angelica"