Menu

Are Dvd's needed for First Form Latin?

dkholland

If I am comfortable with teaching elementary Latin, do I need to get the DVD's to get the most out of the First Form program?

I have gone through LCI and II a few times before and now with my youngest, I think I am going to jump from LCI to First Form. I see that memoria press recommends that instead of continuing for LC II. Does anyone know why that is??

Thanks!

It's because First Form I is a better program ;). Apparently it is better arranged, more systematic/comprehensive/goes deeper/is easier to teach. If you read the MP forums their staff explain the specific reasons why.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive....waiting....waiting...

We did just fine without the DVD's. We're off on 2nd Form now.

I believe I read that LCI, LCII sequence was good for those who just wanted a smattering of Latin and were not planning on going any further with it. You really don't even need LCI before using First Form particularly with an older student. It all repeats. But I am using LCI with my 3rd grader this year because she is so young, to give her confidence and help with the overlearning that MP emphasizes.

I like the use of the DVD's for several reasons. I know alot of parents are capable of teaching Latin without the DVD"s, but it saves us parents as teachers the talking and explaining, and the Teacher on the DVD"s does an excellent job. It gives me a break. I also love to sit and listen to the DVD's myself and watch as my child is learning. It gives me a better understanding, and it also makes sure I dont leave something out. nancyt.