Menu

Peanut Butter Cup/Ball Recipe

I've looked up several. They all call for shortening, butter, and something else, from Rice Crispies to Graham Crackers.

I don't understand. Why can't I just make a ball of pb, dip that in melted chocolate, & let it cool?

(This is why I don't like cooking. Stuff doesn't make sense & seems unnecessarily hard, & then I end up ruining it. LOL)

This recipe calls for butter and powdered sugar, but no extra ingredient (like rice krispies). I think this lightens up the heavy taste of the peanut butter. I don't see how you could get a ball of peanut butter to stick together and not to everything else well enough to dip it in chocolate?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

This recipe calls for butter and powdered sugar, but no extra ingredient. I think this lightens up the heavy taste of the peanut butter. I don't see how you could get a ball of peanut butter to stick together and not to everything else well enough to dip it in chocolate?

If you leave a little circle of PB sticking out at the top, it's a Buckeye recipe! They're a huge hit around here... but teaching my kids they couldn't pick up real buckeyes & pop them in their mouths was quite the challenge!

Edited to Add: We skip the shortening or butter. Just PB & powdered sugar.

If you leave a little circle of PB sticking out at the top, it's a Buckeye recipe! They're a huge hit around here... but teaching my kids they couldn't pick up real buckeyes & pop them in their mouths was quite the challenge!

Edited to Add: We skip the shortening or butter. Just PB & powdered sugar.

The recipe I linked IS a buckeye recipe. :D

If you want JUST PB, you can make the bottom of your cups in cupcake papers with melted chocolate, then fill them with peanut butter. Freeze them or just refridgerate until stiff, and then cover the top with more melted chocolate. They'll be a little more fragile than the other recipes, but they'll taste yummy!

To me, adding the powdered sugar gives them more of a feel of the creamy guts of a Reeses...instead of a heavier piece you'd get just with the PB & chocolate. Not that PB&Chocolate isn't welcome - it's my favorite taste profile, but I like the creaminess of the addition of powdered sugar to fluff it out a bit :D

To me, adding the powdered sugar gives them more of a feel of the creamy guts of a Reeses...instead of a heavier piece you'd get just with the PB & chocolate. Not that PB&Chocolate isn't welcome - it's my favorite taste profile, but I like the creaminess of the addition of powdered sugar to fluff it out a bit :D

Ok, that helps it make sense to me!

This recipe calls for butter and powdered sugar, but no extra ingredient (like rice krispies). I think this lightens up the heavy taste of the peanut butter. I don't see how you could get a ball of peanut butter to stick together and not to everything else well enough to dip it in chocolate?

Perfect! Much better than the recipes I was finding.

I'm planning to dip the pb in butterscotch chips instead of chocolate--any reason not to do this or special instructions? (Other than taste preference, lol!)