Menu

UK homeschoolers: What do you use?

desertmum

I was wondering what curriculum/materials UK home schoolers are using? I see an amazing choice of American homeschool curricula and materials (they look soooo nice) but when I look deeper I realise I have to do a lot of tweaking. Some of the spelling and wording are obviously different, and so is history, national holidays, traditions, government and local geography.

What do UK homeschoolers (or home educators) use? :bigear:

I'm an American citizen living in the UK. I use mostly American materials, but I don't bother tweaking them very much. I was reading MOH to the kids today and she mentioned that she'd been teaching about life on the other side of the world, but this lesson (on Native Americans) would be closer to home. I just reworded it to fit our situation. I teach the kids American spellings instead of British because it's just easier than trying to tweak that. I want them to learn American history, but I also add British history (which I teach by H.E. Marshall books and various other books that are easy enough to pick up at used bookstores, etc). I used Galore Park for geography for my oldest and will probably use it again with 2nd ds next year. I would love to find a good book about British government, but haven't found one.

There really aren't a lot of materials for British home schoolers. We tried MEP which is created for British schools, but it didn't really suit my kids. I've switched to MM, which has the money lessons with American money and British money so I printed both and had the kids complete both. I know someone who is using Oxford Homeschooling materials for her dd for math, and she's happy with how it's going, but I don't know much about it.

Guest uksarah

I'm English and use quite a lot of US curriculum without an issue, although I don't follow the National Curriculum. I have 6 children UK school years 6, 5, 3, and 1.

My year 1 ds is currently using ETC and CLE LA and Maths along with 100 easy lessons and WWE.

My year 3 ds is using CLE LA, Maths and Reading along with Apples and Pears spelling and WWE.

My year 5 dd is using CLE Maths, Math Mammoth, CLE LA and Reading with Megawords and Galore Park English (for creative writing), WWE and Apologia Elementary science, GSWS and Logic countdown.

My year 6 dd uses CLE Maths, LA and Reading, Math Mammoth, Galore Park English, CW Aesop, Apologia science, GSWS and Logic countdown.

Together we use SOTW for history and Sonlight readers/read alouds. We are also reading through an Usbourne encyclopedia of british history and reading some british historical fiction to go along with it.

I have found the US curriculum more thorough and much easier to use in a homeschool setting than some of the UK curriculum we have tried.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

I'm English and use quite a lot of US curriculum without an issue, although I don't follow the National Curriculum. I have 6 children UK school years 6, 5, 3, and 1.

My year 1 ds is currently using ETC and CLE LA and Maths along with 100 easy lessons and WWE.

My year 3 ds is using CLE LA, Maths and Reading along with Apples and Pears spelling and WWE.

My year 5 dd is using CLE Maths, Math Mammoth, CLE LA and Reading with Megawords and Galore Park English (for creative writing), WWE and Apologia Elementary science, GSWS and Logic countdown.

My year 6 dd uses CLE Maths, LA and Reading, Math Mammoth, Galore Park English, CW Aesop, Apologia science, GSWS and Logic countdown.

Together we use SOTW for history and Sonlight readers/read alouds. We are also reading through an Usbourne encyclopedia of british history and reading some british historical fiction to go along with it.

I have found the US curriculum more thorough and much easier to use in a homeschool setting than some of the UK curriculum we have tried.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Yes, brilliant. I like Sonlight but the shipping charges were a bit steep for me -I think it was the amount of books they use. You gave me something to think about...

But moved to Galore Park as they got older. We have used Sonlight LA, Singapore Maths, Handwriting without tears, Superphonics (Ruth Miskin), ETC, SOTW, Real Science 4 Kids, Physics With Toys ... We used HE Marshall history books (with commentary for the dated bits) to supplement SOTW, then Galore Park for English, maths, Latin and French.

Laura

Guest uksarah

I got the first 3 Sonlight cores shipped direct from the US when we first started homeschooling but after we completed core 2 we decided we didn't want to spend 2-3 years on US history at that stage so I moved over to Story of the World with activity guide and I use the Sonlight catalogue to slot in relevant books from core 1/2 for my youngers and core 6/7 for my olders to go with it. Each child moves up to the next core readers which they either read aloud to me in the younger years or independently as they get older. I just order the books as I need them from either The Book Depository or Amazon and it spreads the cost. My guys read the Sonlight books over and over. My son who is 5 has just finished Jolly Phonics and 100 easy lessons and has transitioned nicely into the first level Sonlight readers and I also use Oxford Reading Tree too.

I got the first 3 Sonlight cores shipped direct from the US when we first started homeschooling but after we completed core 2 we decided we didn't want to spend 2-3 years on US history at that stage so I moved over to Story of the World with activity guide and I use the Sonlight catalogue to slot in relevant books from core 1/2 for my youngers and core 6/7 for my olders to go with it. Each child moves up to the next core readers which they either read aloud to me in the younger years or independently as they get older. I just order the books as I need them from either The Book Depository or Amazon and it spreads the cost. My guys read the Sonlight books over and over. My son who is 5 has just finished Jolly Phonics and 100 easy lessons and has transitioned nicely into the first level Sonlight readers and I also use Oxford Reading Tree too.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Very clever about using the SL catalog and then get the books on your own! I picked up lots of Usborne books at a church sale before I even heard of Sonlight and my boy loves the books (so do I). I am guessing you don't need or follow SL plan lessons?

I'm not in the UK, but we use/d Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar, Dancing Bears reading and Apples & Pears spelling. Next year I'm planning to move Ariel (who will be 7) into Galore Park's Junior English. We used MEP, also, and I'm trying to decide if we are going to continue with it or move to Math Mammoth (which you can get as a download, so no worries about shipping). We're doing MM1B as a review before moving to Year 2 or 2nd grade math.

I'm not in the UK, but we use/d Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar, Dancing Bears reading and Apples & Pears spelling. Next year I'm planning to move Ariel (who will be 7) into Galore Park's Junior English. We used MEP, also, and I'm trying to decide if we are going to continue with it or move to Math Mammoth (which you can get as a download, so no worries about shipping). We're doing MM1B as a review before moving to Year 2 or 2nd grade math.

We were doing MEP but I just downloaded Math Mammoth! So many people here are talking about Galore Park that I will have to look into it. Why did you choose Galore Park?

I was doing (or trying to do) Moman McNeed reading but I may look into Jolly Phonics because ds just is not getting it (well, he is only 4.5 yo). Jollly Phnics just looks more lively. I will be traveling to the UK later on this year which is why I am asking as I can pick up the books/materials while I'm there. ;)

It's traditional and rigorous but fun. I feel that the company has a real learning-for-learning's-sake attitude. They are not shackled to the national curriculum (because the materials are used in private schools) but they track it nearly enough that transferring is easy if necessary.

There are lots of samples on their website, so it's worth having a fossick around.

Laura

Why did you choose Galore Park?

I was doing (or trying to do) Moman McNeed reading but I may look into Jolly Phonics because ds just is not getting it (well, he is only 4.5 yo). Jollly Phnics just looks more lively. I will be traveling to the UK later on this year which is why I am asking as I can pick up the books/materials while I'm there. ;)

It's traditional and rigorous but fun. I feel that the company has a real learning-for-learning's-sake attitude.

:iagree: What she said. I like that it's thorough and appears easy to implement without being drudgery. (I already bought Junior English 1, so I've had a chance to go through it.)

Ariel really enjoyed Jolly Phonics, and likes Jolly Grammar. JP is designed for Reception Year students, so there's lots of movement and coloring, and lots of extras to add to the program if you like. I just bought the TM and some of the readers and got along fine.

Hi,

I am from the UK. I homeschool my son aged 8. I use mostly American materials because I really like TWTM approach and I haven't been too impressed with materials from UK. We use:

FLL, WWE (will probably move on to CW)

Story of the World (I use a lot of Usborne books)

Artistic Pursuits

Singapore maths (with MM for additional practice). I think SM is a fantastic program.

I haven't quite committed to a science program. We are studying Astronomy at the moment using a combination of Apologia and Elemental Science. I also throw in a bit of Singapore Science(MPH).

Lastly I use the Memoria Press series for Latin. We are doing Latina Christiana at the moment but I am in a real dilemma about the teaching declension of nouns. I do not know whether to just go with the American approach or amend the materials in line with the English approach.

I haven't had a problem with the other materials. In fact discussing the variations in spelling between America and England seems to be a good memory aid.

I hadn't heard of Galore Park but I've had a chance to look through the materials and they look good.

This is an interesting thread. I've always wondered this because sooooo many US curricula are centered around American history. Of course I want Indy to learn US history, but I also want him to learn a history of the world. It makes me crazy how few kids know anything of the world outside the US. You'd think nothing happened in the world before the Pilgrims arrived.

Now, I'm off to check out Galore Park to see what they have!

I'm in Australia, but I thought I'd also mention Jolly Grammar, which is a follow on from Jolly Phonics. I found the level similar to First Language Lessons, but Jolly Grammar is more worksheet based (and the book also includes phonics work).

I use almost all US material, and haven't found the tweaking to be much of a problem - currency and weights and measures needs adjusting in maths, definitely, but as so many books use American spellings, there's no harm in teaching those alongside the correct spelling. :D

Guest CarolineUK

Like others I use mainly US materials (we particularly love RightStart Math), but I am making a transition to Galore Park (So You Really Want to Learn French has been a great hit).

For science we use a mixture of Elemental Science and Galore Park Junior Science.

Minimus Latin has also been great fun, although I know on these boards a lot of people have commented that it's not really rigorous enough for them - for us it has been just right, I only really wanted a taster and the fun element has meant that we're all now a lot more keen to pursue Latin a bit more seriously in future (I believe Galore Park do a good series!).

DS6 has learnt to read using a mixture of Jolly Phonics and Oxford Reading Tree readers (I have spent a small fortune on these, but it has been worth it) - this is the method by which DS9 and DS11 were taught at their primary schools.

If I think of anything else, I'll get back to you.