Menu

Post your dc's logic stage writing samples here

I am a bit reluctant as I join up with this thread and group, but feel maybe I should...Although 11yo dd is becoming a stronger writer, I have not yet introduced typing to her school papers. We are still working on writing everything out by hand, improving handwriting skills along with grammar and composition. So one question I have for you all is this: Did you type the samples for your dc or did they? My plan has been to hold off dd's typing of school papers until 7th/8th grade level.

I have been lurking for the very same reasons myself my dear friend! :001_huh:

Dd is bright, capable and eager to learn -- a voracious reader and a very expressive person, so I have no worries about her abilities. As I write this post, I am beginning to realize that perhaps I feel a bit intimidated by some of you who have been placing a stronger emphasis on writing at younger age levels. :iagree: It is so difficult not to second guess our decisions when comparing what others are doing. I find I am very decisive about my decisions except when it comes to planning DD's educational path. There always seems to be a bit of self doubt lurking . . .is this the best direction/curricula for MY child ? Am I missing something ?

If anyone has suggestions or encouragement for me as I timidly approach this group, then I'm listening and ready to go forward. It seems that maybe the Lord is giving me a gentle nudge in this direction.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:grouphug: We are all in this together and try as we might, we won't do it all perfectly -- and that's OK!:001_smile:

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma

Please don't feel intimidated, Lucinda. We are also a book behind in R&S (R&S5). And honestly I had my dd write almost nothing until grade 4. I find what has helped my dd's writing more than anything is reading good (ie. well-constructed, twaddle-free) books. Just from listening and reading consistently the vocabulary and sentence structure has been built in her mind. She just happens to be a reasonably good writer but let me tell you, if we were doing a math thread here, she'd be at the bottom of the pack.

Some dc are going to be advanced, some will be behind, and some will be in-between. One of my reservations about posting on this thread is that we will start to compare dc and some will feel inadequate or that they need to "do more". IMO, it is way too early to tell what type of writers our children are going to be. I just want to enjoy reading everyone's posts and learn a little. I thought WildIris's post, showing how she corrects her dd's writing, was extremely helpful. I loved OElizabeth's sample of her dd's writing on the first thread ..... I have been thinking of Jeeves ever since. Hopefully at this age, we can simply enjoy our children's writing at all the different levels and not analyze too much until we get to the high school forum ..... KWIM? :001_smile:

Ah, yes...I DO know what you mean and appreciate it a great deal. Your words already bring me a great deal of comfort. Not only do I want to help my dd learn to be a good writer, I also want to learn more about being a good writing teacher. Connecting with others here in the Hive should be a great resource for both I think.

I recently listened to an audio of a writing workshop given by Marcia Somerville, the writer of TOG curriculum. It was so helpful, and what she shared in part corresponds beautifully with what you have said here about our children's writing. Many of us are trying to teach our dc to write somewhat "accidentally" because we did not get the best training ourselves in school and we did not expect to become writing teachers. According to MC, this is why writing is so challenging for many hs parents. She goes on to share that even for those that feel they are lagging behind, there is hope. We all need to remember that writing is a process, and that we CAN help our children move up to where they should be and beyond.

Thank you again for the assurance! I will stay connected, and will also post some of dd's writing soon - as well as get her going on her typing lessons. (BTW, I am a very hands on person that feels handwriting at this stage is still very important.)

Blessings,

Lucinda