Menu

All About Spelling Letter Tiles

Pata

In the interest of saving money, I was wondering, has anyone made the letter tiles themselves? Is it possible or advisable? From looking at them, I think that I can make the same thing on my computer and then laminate them. What do you think? Thanks for your help!

The tiles are a different color for different letters (vowels, consonants, blends, etc.) I think I would try to stick with the colors because there is a method to the madness. There are also headings that you would need to prepare. Here are the colors:

The phonogram tiles are color-coded for faster learning:

Consonants and consonant teams are blue.

Vowels and vowel teams are red.

Tiles representing the sound of /er/ are purple.

The remaining r-controlled vowels are yellow.

Tiles representing the sound of /sh/ are green.

And the apostrophe and ed are orange.

The five heading labels help you group your tiles on the table while you are teaching. Logically grouping the tiles makes them easy to locate during a spelling lesson and aids visual memory.

Each set contains 105 tiles—two each of letters a to z, one each of the remaining letter combinations, and five blank tiles.

Honestly, if at all possible I would just purchase the tiles. I also strongly recommend the magnets. The magnets make life so much easier. Without the magnets I am not sure the program would have worked for us because it would be such a hassle to get the tiles ready every day.

In the interest of saving money, I was wondering, has anyone made the letter tiles themselves?

I had bought AAS, after using SWR for 4 years. I had SWR trimmed down to about 15 minuted a day so when we switched to AAS I lasted a few weeks. If I had used the program from the beginning I probably would have loved it. All that to say, I bought 2 sets of letter tiles. I am selling them for $4.50 a set. They are already cut up (that took a long time:) ). Just an FYI

you really aren't going to save money by making them yourself once you figure in the cost of ink, cardstock, your time, and laminating film. I am assuming you have your own laminating machine. Some things are just easier to buy.

Thanks guys, I took Fay up on her offer, it just didn't make sense to make them for that price. Ok, now anyone got level 1 to offer?? :-D(this is suppose to be a smilie, but I hit done to soon!)