Menu

BJU Science when to outline textbook and how to study questions

My almost 11 ds is currently using BJU Science 5 DVD's for 5th grade (only started it in Dec.). I notice that he likes to rely on what he already knows rather than 'study' the textbook. He just 'flunked' (got 20/30 right) on the chapter test on Measuring Matter because he really doesn't have much of an accumulated knowledge bank for this topic. He had to know the difference between solute, solvent, solution, etc. (which I don't wouldn't know either, without studying). He has widely differing grades based on what he already knows about science. I don't think he really reads a science textbook correctly, but rather just skims it... even though he says he does. He has a natural science bent, but just doesn't think he has to really work at it.

Is it okay if wait until I can say he is an official middle schooler (ie. for 6th grade) and buckle down at that time with his science textbook study skills, or should I be doing that now? I know I will get a lot of resistance from him as he has been desiring to rebel on certain assignments already. He gets easily stressed out if he thinks he has too much on his academic plate.

I've got to add that we have also started using some MFW Science (just last month) but I don't double up science classes on any given day. Occasionally he will ask to do extra BJU Science, though, because he wants to blog afterwards (we still have BJU Science 4 online streaming in for his sister until Dec.). The blogging has turned out to be an excellent positive motivator for him to get his science done, BTW.

I've noticed that Oh Elizabeth recommends outlining the science textbook (as does WTM) and I wondered when I should be starting that with my ds. Does BJU include onlining tasks with their DVD science instruction in middle school science?

Thanks,

Brenda

Edited by Omma

You can start outlining now or even have him take notes. For his age I would have him write the section title and 2 or 3 things he learned in that section. Add in any diagrams he things are relevant or even have him create a diagram to explain something learned. This has helped my ds retain his science so much more. When we discuss the sections I tell him he can use his notes, usually he doesn't need them because he retained most of the material while focusing on what to write that was important.

Do you have the tm to do the comprehension questions with him? Is he reading the text before he watches the videos? I wouldn't make him start taking notes, but I would change how you're using the course. In those lower grades, it was enough for my dd to read the text, and do the discussion and questions in the tm. Watching a video can be awfully passive if you let it be. You have to change the dynamic and re-engage his brain.

BTW, my dd is pretty pencil-phobic and would have squelched if I had said take written notes. The 7th and up are clearly set up for this, with the letter designations and everything. I just wouldn't feel compelled to in the lower levels. It may backfire, or at least it would have with my dd. Even now we do our outlining TOGETHER, on the computer.

He needs to read the text so he can thinking about his answers when the teacher asks the comprehension questions. He needs to PAUSE the video and say his answers aloud, rather than just letting her say them. If he doesn't KNOW the answer, he needs to go back and read that section. It has to be an engaged process. What you may need to do for a while is go over the comprehension questions with him personally, THEN have him watch the dvd.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I guess I've always been just trusting in the fact that he is a very strong auditory learner. My mom has called him a walking encyclopedia from early days. Unfortunately, this is part of what he has relied on rather than doing the necessary work of reading and studying a textbook. I know that he does pause the DVD when asked, and will skim the textbook and write out his quick checks, but I don't know about actually reading every word of the textbook. I guess I should have him pause the DVD more often to say the answers aloud.

Also, I didn't admit this before, but I hadn't checked all his work PRIOR to giving him the test which I should have done. Just because it is a DVD class, it doesn't mean it does ALL the work for me. Sigh...

Brenda

He skims the textbook??? LOL, that might be the place to start looking. Maybe you're kind of busy or overwhelmed right now? Sometimes you have to pause things a bit to figure out which fire to put out first. Then you regroup and make a plan.

And yes, auditory learners have to learn to read textbooks. Even college is going to be mostly textbook driven. The lectures flesh it out. They don't replace the textbook work.

He skims the textbook??? LOL, that might be the place to start looking. Maybe you're kind of busy or overwhelmed right now? Sometimes you have to pause things a bit to figure out which fire to put out first. Then you regroup and make a plan.

And yes, auditory learners have to learn to read textbooks. Even college is going to be mostly textbook driven. The lectures flesh it out. They don't replace the textbook work.

:iagree:

BJU 6 is harder and there is more there than BJU 5. BJU Life Science is an even bigger step up. I don't think you are doing him any favors by letting him slide by now. Learning to read a textbook after the program gets tough will just make him feel overwhelmed.

He tells me he is reading the textbook, but I can tell that he has to be skimming at times by the amount of time it takes him to 'read'. How do I help him when he doesn't want to be helped?

Thanks for your honest appraisal and I'd love to hear some specific steps I should take to help him 'get back on track'.

Brenda

Don't you have access to the tm? The comprehension questions are in the tm, in the perimeter beside the view of the student pages. So you assign him the section to read, then ask him the questions. If he can answer the questions, he's good. If he can't, even one, you hand him back the book and tell him to re-read. Didn't take much of that for my dd to figure out a different type of reading was required and what she needed to do. It's not like reading The Hobbit or something.

BTW, my dd never enjoyed but only put up with the BJU elementary science and is now actually ENJOYING the Life Science. So don't worry that you'll make him hate it or ruin him forever or something. It's a skill, and learning skills is work. However the reward is the sense of accomplishment that you did something challenging. I think that's why she's enjoying the Life Science, because it IS a challenge and she knows it.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I really haven't used the TM since there is a DVD instructor, but I now remember what you are talking about from perusing the online BJU 4 TM. I will do exactly as you suggested. What a great, obvious idea for this poor, tired brain of mine.

Brenda