Menu

Self Ed: First Form Latin?

I took two years of Latin in high school using the Cambridge texts and did quite well (received a Latin Honors Award), but sadly I have forgotten nearly everything. The vocabulary benefits are still in effect, but the grammar is nearly all lost to the dusty halls of memory.

I'd like to shake some of that dust off in preparation of teaching my own children. Can anyone speak to the experience of self-educating with First Form Latin from MP?

I need something fairly open and go (I do have three littles and a newborn), Wheelocks looks TOO intimidating for me. :tongue_smilie:

Latin moms, I'm counting on you to give me the goods. How hard would it be to get restarted with Latin using this program by myself?

:bigear:

Thanks in advance!

First Form can be used by high schoolers, they would just go at a faster pace--two lessons per week instead of one. I think it would be great for re-capturing your Latin knowledge. I'm using it myself to learn Latin with my children (no Latin background though). I bet it will all come back to you easily!

It says you can use it with students as early as 5th grade, but it does count as 1 year of high school latin. I think it's a bit like Henle-style made easy/updated in terms of the teaching approach. Apparently (if I'm remembering correctly) it covers 1/4 of the Latin grammar.

So, moms with no previous Latin experience - you are finding it fairly easy to teach and get into the swing of yourselves?

Yes! The teacher manual is fabulous. It's what I would call semi-scripted, in that it has good, clear explanations for everything and tells you what to talk about but doesn't give you the exact words. The pronunciation CD is great too...many weeks we don't listen to it but it's good for the times we aren't sure on pronunciation (it's the Christian pronunciation but they don't get hung up on it, for sure). We're in Second Form, and you are right, by the end of Fourth Form, you will have covered the entire Latin grammar.

The MP website does say you can award a full year of high school Latin credit for First Form. I would ask at their forums if you have more questions, they are really great at helping/answering questions.

Thanks Amy! That sounds great. I really like somewhat scripted programs actually!

What would you say the grammar requirements are to enter their courses at this level?

I have a good intuitive knowledge of grammar but I don't know many of the official terms and functions (if that makes sense.)

My son is in 5th grade and is having no problem with this text. I think it would be a good gentle reintroduction to Latin grammar for you , but I don't consider it high school level.

When I asked Memoria why they said it was worth a year of high school credit, they said it was because of the time it took to do the amount of written work required. It only covers 1/4 of the grammar, and the vocabulary is limited. I gave my dd high school credit for 1/2 of Wheelock's her freshman year, and it covered much, much more. I think First Form is a great middle school text, and I am looking forward to using the whole series with my son, so that when he reaches high school he will be ahead in Latin.

Edited by anissarobert