Menu

Anyone use MFW lesson plans for Rosetta Stone or Apologia science?

I've used both of them, but my Apologia plans are from 1st edition.

My science lesson plans told when to use the CD-ROM for visuals, and Donna Young didn't have that. However, now in 2nd edition, the textbook really tells you when to watch the CD-ROM. But I still like having the MFW full list of everything ds should do for the day.

I also think the MFW lesson plans are less cluttered. http://donnayoung.org/f10/apologia-f/phys/dy_pys-sci_ed2.pdf

e.g. The supplies are on a separate page since ds doesn't need that in every day's lesson plans. He can see all the components and he can check off when done.

I have a clear record for the year of everything ds did in science.

As for the Rosetta plans, I have to tell you that I haven't even looked at what ds has been doing all year. They are so well laid out that ds doesn't ask me a single question & I've been going in too many directions to even check in. So they are very independent.

Each day, they tell him what lesson and what part to do. They assign the CD some days, and they assign an outside project some days.

For the outside project, the first week it involves reading through all the options in the back of the book & thinking about options. The next weeks, it suggests a certain project (like finding a library book on area recipes, and then cooking) but the student can choose their own. My son usually watches French In Action on the internet on those days. But it's excellent to add in the variety right in the schedule. Next year, I'll probably have him do more interactive activities. Not sure if MFW will have separate plans for year 2, but otherwise I'm hoping I can buy another set of these & plug in level 2 & different activities (I'll check with MFW at convention).

Let me know if you have more questions. The $15 of course includes the copying costs and the plans, which were written with input from users & the Rosetta in consultation with a teacher.

Julie

pretty much echoing Julie's experience.

I have the 2nd edition apologia plans from MFW. I prefer the layout and organization much better than the free donna young version. I like having a place to record test and lab scores. I like that the supplies lists are in one place. it's all together, pre done for me. Places to check off daily work, gather supplies, study for test.

Rosetta Stone plans: like Julie said, those were developed in consultation with a high school Spanish teacher. Last time I asked, (which was a few months ago), the plan was to just reuse the plans plugging in with level 2.

I really like the appendix of real life activities in RS plans. Various links to how to listen online in the language. suggestions for keeping and making a resource notebook. happy camper over here. they definitely add that missing element to make RS more of a high school program.

the plans are usable with most any of the RS languages.

-crystal

My son is doing Apologia General Science. I bought the MFW schedule to see what it looked like, but we both preferred the Core Foundations Schedule so that is what he is using. He keeps it at the front of his notebook and checks off his completed work each day. It also lists vocab to note and experiment supplies I need to make sure we have on hand. (and as a happy bonus, the CF schedules are free!) Here is a link to the Core Foundations math & science schedules

That looks almost identical to Donna Young's schedule. I wonder if the same folks contributed both?

Julie

Err, no.

Donna Young made most of her schedules (and has modified them greatly over time). However, for a number of the newer additions she is blessed with other contributors.

I made most of my own schedules because, at the time, Donna Young's were more "list-like" and not so easy for me to read (I like tables and charts).

As I said, she has changed her format greatly over time.

Yet, I'm getting to be an "old-fogey" (been doin' this too long) as I don't have a lot of the 2nd edition books. Thankfully, I have a few people that are willing to bless others with their 2nd edition schedules through my blog, but there isn't any overlap.

I hadn't heard of a Rosetta Stone schedule. Do they have a sample up on their web site?

I hadn't heard of a Rosetta Stone schedule. Do they have a sample up on their web site?

No.

MFW's lesson plan for Rosetta Stone is set up in a day to day check list for high school students to work independently.

There are a few intro pages to read to understand the overall purpose.

Followed by the day to day do this much from the RS program, do audio companion (and various ways to use it beyond falling asleep listening)

Then, a day each week to do "real life activities" as scheduled in the appendix.

There are about 14 categories of extra activities and they are scheduled throughout the year. This is not an exhaustive list of the appendix.

Some of them involve some copywork and dictation exercises via audio companion CD, and checking results against the script on the RS cd's. More of the MFW activities include additional conservation skills - find a native speaker or a missionary who had to speak the language and talk with them. I was certainly blessed to see God provide that for us this year in our church.

Some of the activities are the kinds of things you'd see done in high school classes with field trips, and cultural activities, engaging with media, writing a report about Bible translation in minority languages of a country that speaks the language you are learning.

as well as children's books, dvd, listening to TV, radio in target language. find a language speaking practice partner.

there are links to finding online radio broadcast, and other links in the appendix to help take it from just a computer program to use to being more of a real course to do.

does that help any to see the unseen since there isn't a sample on website of it yet?

-crystal

Err, no.

Donna Young made most of her schedules (and has modified them greatly over time). However, for a number of the newer additions she is blessed with other contributors.

Sorry, Christine. I didn't mean to imply that you used hers, but that the K12 link might have a post by the same person as posted on Donna Young. Didn't even realize that link was you :blush:

Crystal, have you seen the Hewitt schedule for Rosetta Stone? They also don't post any images (grrrr.) I would like to have something because my son just whipped through RS Spanish level one in a few weeks. Now he's doing powerglide but I am not convinced it is worth the $$. When his semester there ends, we are either going to go back to RS but with a schedule - MFW or Hewitt - and supplements OR try Auralog Tell Me More (free through our library).

• 3 weeks later...