Menu

The lamb clinic has patients. Truffles and Oreo.

Any of you who read my thread on Tuesday asking for prayer for ds and the little lamb he was trying to rescue, will remember that it only lasted a few hours and died. GRRR....the farmer, knowing it was in distress, waited far too long to put it on the bottle. Well, that lamb was part of a set of triplets. We know have the siblings.

I went out for chores on Friday and one of the lambs could hardly stand. Both had sunken in sides, bleeting furiously. For the ewe's part, she was really trying hard. She was standing over them trying to get them to nurse and they would but she had just about no milk. Apparently, this had been going on for several days and the farmer would try to milk her to increase her supply, but nothing doing. She would go out three times a day and "supplement them" with colostrum from an eye dropper. It wasn't enough and I am REALLY ANGRY that she waited so long hand them over.

I was certain Oreo would not make it....she was more emaciated than the lamb we had already lost. Seriously, it would make you sick to your stomach if I showed a picture of her standing up. She was starving to death by inches. But, she took to the bottle very, very well. Both are eating like little champions. The shepherd was just ridiculous...."If it was me, they'd get a bottle every six hours during the day and none at night. They'd have to live on it because I wouldn't be going to that hassle." I wanted to say, "Well, that's blatantly obvious now isn't it?" But, I held my tongue.

We've been feeding them on demand (every two hours). P and A slept on the floor next to their box last night and wouldn't you know it, with full bellies and a snuggly warm place to cuddle up together, they slept from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Amazing! They are getting stronger and spend a lot of time snuggled up in some old blankets on top of a dollar store plastic tablecloth, with the two boys scratching their chins and petting their heads. They'll be completely and utterly spoiled by the time they are weaned (8 weeks possibly more for this crew because of how much time was lost at the start).

I'll post pictures after we've fattened them just a little bit.

Oh, Truffles is all black, and Oreo is black with a big tuft of white on the top of her head.

Faith