Menu

High School literature

If this subject has been talked into the ground, forgive me for bringing it up again :)

I've been planning our high school program today and literature still has me stumped. We used LLATL Gold American this year for 9th and it was *okay*, not thrilling, but got the job done. I added more poetry, more writing, and another author to study. After trying to make this study work, I'm tempted to throw in the towel and use something "all in one" like Abeka Literature next year. :001_huh:

I had originally planned on doing Brit Lit next year (10th), then either Shakespeare followed by World or vice versa for 11th and 12th. But, after reading TWTM section on high school literature, I'm having second thoughts. Now, I'm leaning more toward doing my own book list. I've looked at TWTM list and various others on the net and now I'm overwhelmed. Should I separate the book lists into chronological order, geographic order, or no order at all? I'm leaning toward making a list of books that I will require for graduation then dd and I choosing together what is read when. I'd base this on where we are in history, what we already own, what is available at the library, etc.

But, bottom line, I need a book list. So, what are some "absolutely must read by graduation" books? And I need a method to organize them.

Dd has already read this year:

Red Badge of Courage

Tom Sawyer

Huck Finn

Old Man and the Sea

various American short stories

various American poets

The Chosen (will be read shortly at the end of the poetry study)

Here is a cut and paste of some great literature books from Janice in NJ:

Oh, it won't do it. Can someone put a link from the thread that was a month or two ago? It has all of the ISBNs to the Scott Foresman high school lit. books. We switched from A Beka American Lit. to SF and dd and I have enjoyed and learned a lot from it. A Beka does have some good literature selections, but we did tire from some of the commentary... English Literature was next to impossible with ds, not enough direction. We did BJU the next year w/dvds. I am thinking of doing SF British Lit. next year with dd.

I tend to make book lists around whatever type of lit. we'll be studying. So far that has been things like:

- ancient classics

- american lit.

- british lit.

- world lit.

- 20th century lit.

- worldviews in classic sci-fi lit.

- classic fantasy lit.

- inspiring/Christian classics

You might make a book list around a specific goal you have for your literature study, such as "books which are...":

- most frequently alluded to in other literature, films, and culture as a whole

- most likely to expose students to a wide variety of genres and types of literature

- most likely to help the student see/understand a particular time/culture

- most likely to reveal worldviews

- most likely to be of interest or connect with students

- most "meaty" or obvious in helping students learn how to analyze literature

- most frequently covered by high school students

- most likely to encourage and challenge your student in their beliefs

- most likely to impart some of your family values to your student

Many books fall into more than one category for us, so I just list them under all appropriate categories. Making book lists is the easy part -- choosing just the BEST handful from your list to create your actual lit. program -- now that's the hard part!! :)

Below are some past threads that may be of help. In the first one is a detailed post in which I describe how I go about creating book lists and then picking titles to actually study; I also had a second post in that first thread which listed the 10 works and then the 35 works most-frequently taught in high school.

The last link is a list of books the average high schooler encounters in high school or college. BEST of luck in your literature adventures!

Warmest regards, Lori D.

If you make your own literature course/book list

Must reads for high school

6 most essential books in 4 categories

How do I choose Great Books when I haven't read most of them?

Where do you start with a high school boy who has never read classic lit?

College Board: 101 Great Books for College-Bound Readers

Edited by Lori D.
added info

I've been interested in Scott Foresman lit for a couple months. So far though, I have not been able to find a student text and a TM. Is the TM really necessary to make the program work?

I've recently found all of the Scott Foresman America Reads books, both Student and TM. Let me know if you need any ISBN numbers. I found that sometimes on Amazon I can only get the book to show up if use an ISBN. The English in Literature one is organized chronologically. Some of the ISBNs I got from this posting:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228757&highlight=scott+foresman+literature&page=2

I found looking through the various Norton Anthologies to be helpful on this matter. They are fairly complete. We used the Am. Lit. one for our Am. Lit. course that went along with APUSH. I'm looking at the World Lit sets for next year. They have all the classics and some "newer" works. For the 19th and 20th centuries we have chosen our own works that parallel what is in the NA.