Menu

This mom needs HELP!

HI!

I'm desparate. I really thought I knew what I was doing...I really did. I'm graduating one. But I have one starting 9th grade next year and she's a tough one. I have absolutely no idea what to do with her. I'm looking to you ladies for help.

I've expressed to you before that we are late bloomers in the classical/Charlotte Mason methods. However, we were never big fans of textbooks, so my daughter does love to read.

1. She told me yesterday that she doesn't understand grammar at all. AT ALL! I don't know how she's faked it this long. I think she figures out the pattern and follows that.

2. She wants to go to nursing school here locally. But her math skills are deplorable. We have done Saxon, Calvert, Rod and Staff and this year we are doing TT. She is doing better, but still doesn't really understand it.

3. She reads at an 11/12th grade level but when she finishes a book, can't really tell me what it was about. I was attributing this to her ADD(non-hyper) but she has been on medication and she's still having this problem.

4. Does great with spelling and vocabulary until she tries to write a paper. Then it looks like something a 2nd grader would turn in. On top of that. Her composition skills are, well, deficient. Again, we have used so many programs, a local tutor and workbooks to help in certain areas. I don't know how far back to take her and yet still have it "count" for high school.

Can someone PLEASE help me put together a course of study that would help with her weak points...books or curriculum that are out there? We are going to travel down to NC for their convention and I need to have some ideas as to what to look at. I don't even know where to throw in history or science. Right now we are studying Christian Anatomy (basic) and Roman, Middle Ages since we kind of skipped that during the middle grades.

Thank you in advance.

:confused:

I'm almost through high school with my challenging one, so I'll throw out a few suggestions based on what worked for him.

My son has ADD and has used medication, but it doesn't solve things like being able to summarize a book. What it has helped is in giving him more mental stamina to get through tasks like math problems, or reading a text and answering questions. I liken it to adding more RAM to a computer -- it increases working memory and increases efficiency. Apart from medication, I've helped train him in how to tackle school work by using checklists and teaching him how to break work down into doable chunks.

For writing and literature and history, I have followed the Well Trained Mind and Well Educated Mind. Dictations and narrations have been the key to life here! I have my son write short summaries of everything from newspaper articles to chapters in books. I'll have him write a short summary about the main characters introduced in the book. These short exercises in writing have helped teach him how to see the details within a text, how to pick out what is important, and how to express these points in writing. I edit and discuss his grammar and punctuation mistakes with him, then he corrects it. He can now write a decent and fairly organized essay.

By the way, it is a skill to apply spelling and vocabulary knowledge into writing. The editing process is simply a way of acknowledging that there are going to be spelling mistakes, that there is often a better choices of a word. Your dd can learn these mistakes are no big deal on the first draft, that she can learn to edit for herself and turn to you for a final edit.

Math -- well, it hasn't been pretty here either!! I don't have much to offer as far as advice. It was all about manipulatives in the early years, using Math-U-See, but we abandoned that during Algebra. Sometimes the books you find at Border's fit the bill -- Algebra for Dummies, for instance or Algebra Success in 20 minutes a day. You could look to see if there is a math review book for nursing school and get a feel for the kind of math she will need. A tutor is a life saver!

By the way, my ds often tells me there is one subject or another that he simply doesn't "get" when I know perfectly well he is fine. Sometimes, if he isn't perfect at it he says he is lousy at it. Could it be that your dd is thinking she doesn't get grammar because writing is hard for her? I think, again, writing ideas out AND simultaneously remembering grammar, spelling and punctuation rules is really hard for some people.

Does she write by hand or on a computer? My son does so much better with a computer -- it is so automatic for him that it is one less distraction for him. As much as people hate spell check, it has helped him be a better speller the first time around as those underlined words caught his attention and he could see how he was misspelling the simplest of words.

Hope something here is useful for you!

I will try to help. Some other ladies on here are so much more knowledgeable than me, but since I had a struggling student I will try to help.

1. She told me yesterday that she doesn't understand grammar at all. AT ALL! I don't know how she's faked it this long. I think she figures out the pattern and follows that.

I can sympathize! What is she using now? Is she an auditory or visual learner? If she is auditory I can tell you what helped me - Shurley Grammar. The jingles are cheesy, so she may protest, and it is geared for an elementary learner, but if it works, it is worth it. If she is not auditory, you might want to look at Analytical Grammar. It is a little pricey though. If she is a kinsethetic leaner, Winston grammar advanced may be good. The cheapest option, and very Charlotte Mason, would be copywork and dictation.

2. She wants to go to nursing school here locally. But her math skills are deplorable. We have done Saxon, Calvert, Rod and Staff and this year we are doing TT. She is doing better, but still doesn't really understand it.

What will she be doing - Algebra? One option is Math Relief (Keyboard Enterprises). Mr. Firebaugh is not exciting, but he is good and his approach seems to help struggling math students.

3. She reads at an 11/12th grade level but when she finishes a book, can't really tell me what it was about. I was attributing this to her ADD(non-hyper) but she has been on medication and she's still having this problem.

I'm not sure on this one. Do you think she doesn't really understand the book, or is she reluctant to discuss it? You might try Lightning Lit for 8th grade which includes some grammar and vocabulary but I'm not sure if that help with her problem or not. You might also look at Bravewriter and the Boomerang. There is a different book every month. It includes a little literary analysis and dictation assignments. The nice thing here that might help her is that you can sign her up for a monthly discussion on the forum. Other children discuss the book, and Julie guides them in their discussion. It might get her more excited about discussing the book since it with someone other than mom.:)

4. Does great with spelling and vocabulary until she tries to write a paper. Then it looks like something a 2nd grader would turn in.

My dd had some problems with that also. I did use Phonetic Zoo and I think copywork and dictation may help here also. My dd is borderline dyslexic, and I have to say that I think time has helped her more than anything. You might want to look on the special education board, also. I have seen some good programs mentioned.

On top of that. Her composition skills are, well, deficient. Again, we have used so many programs, a local tutor and workbooks to help in certain areas. I don't know how far back to take her and yet still have it "count" for high school.

Two programs I have liked are IEW and Bravewriter. Though they are very different from each other, each has helped my dc. Bravewriter has classes online, and a couple of them are geared for the struggling writer, so you may want to look at this for the summer. I found the beginner course really helped my son learn to look at his writing and edit it better. You might also want to contact Julie at Bravewriter. I know she has struggled with a couple of her children and writing and she may have some ideas for you.

I don't even know where to throw in history or science. Right now we are studying Christian Anatomy (basic) and Roman, Middle Ages since we kind of skipped that during the middle grades.

For history, Notgrass World History might be an option. It isn't too time consuming, and we have enjoyed their courses. I'm not sure what to recommend for science. Maybe Apologia? Since she is going into 9th you could use their Physical Science, and wait until 10th for biology. Another option is the Integrated Physics and Chemistry. This is meant to be a two year course.

Hope some of this helps,

Veronica

We have like Jensen's for grammar. This was an area that my ds struggled with. He liked the way Jensen broke it down. There are two paperback books in the series....the first is Jensen's Grammar and the second is Jensen's Punctuation. Here is a link to the site http://jsgrammar.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

You can usually find a copy of these books at homeschool fairs too if you like to get your hands on things to look them over. We were really happy with them....not at all flashy or pretty, but effective for us.

For Composition, I also like Jensen's Format writing. It helped my ds learn how to structure his writing. It is "formularic" but I like having a formula to learn and then you can easily depart and spruce up from there.

HTH a little

What she means she doesn't "grok" it for those who have read The Heinlein book that I can't remember the title for. What has helped with the literature is taking an outside class. She has found out that she understands better than many others. I have had to do much handholding this year with the lit analysis but less as time went on.

ALEKS seems to have helped my daughter get geometry better. She probably wouldn't have had a problem except for her non-stop headache. She still claims she doesn't know grammar but she is getting better especially with learning Spanish. My daughter writes quite well but her spelling is poor. She has been doing Apple Spelling and either that or increased maturity has helped.

One thing that hasn't helped is Virtual Classes and we won't do that again. She gets bogged down in the trivial aspects of a course and get huge anxiety problems with it.

She probably wouldn't have had a problem except for her non-stop headache.

One thing that hasn't helped is Virtual Classes and we won't do that again.

My daughter has chronic headaches too. She keeps telling me its from the ADD meds, but she complains when she doesn't take them too.

:iagree: about the virtual classes too. We haven't had much success there either.

We have like Jensen's for grammar. This was an area that my ds struggled with. He liked the way Jensen broke it down. There are two paperback books in the series....the first is Jensen's Grammar and the second is Jensen's Punctuation. Here is a link to the site http://jsgrammar.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

You can usually find a copy of these books at homeschool fairs too if you like to get your hands on things to look them over. We were really happy with them....not at all flashy or pretty, but effective for us.

For Composition, I also like Jensen's Format writing. It helped my ds learn how to structure his writing. It is "formularic" but I like having a formula to learn and then you can easily depart and spruce up from there.

HTH a little

I was looking at the Jensen's products for Grammar and Punctuation. I'll have to get my hands on them at the convention to see them in person.

What topics does Format Writing cover?

I have an older version so a new one may have more than this.

Section 1, Single Paragraph Formats, Formats: Example, Classification, Definition, Process, Analogy, Cause & Effect, Comparison

In this section there are 10 pages showing the basic requirements, other items of importance, method of construction, an example, an assignment, and sample topics for each type of format paragraph.

Section 2, Five Paragraph Essays, Elements of a 5 paragraph essay, Thesis Statements, Introductory Paragraphs, Concluding paragraphs, Transitions, Body Paragraphs, 7 sentences, General Guidelines, Formats: Example, Classification, Definition, Process, Analogy, Cause & Effect, Comparison.

In this section there are 26 pages with 2 pages showing each format essay.

Section 3, The Principle of Condensation, Word Economy (the sentence), The Precis: (the paragraph), explained, exercises.

In this section there are 10 pages.

Section 4, Major Papers, Title page, In-text citations, Notecards, Procedures, Endnotes, Abbreviations, Annotated Works Cited, Appendix/Appendices.

In this section there are 17 pages. There are much better sources for major papers online but this is at least a start.

Section 5, Check Sheets & Forms, Tests, Answer Keys, Sample Schedules, Index.

These can be used for grading the papers the student writes.

This is not the only writing program I used but I have used it for a reference over many years and a place to start writing essays. I also have Wordsmith Craftsman on hand to refer to that is inexpensive. I like having several things on hand that I can just pick up and use in a pinch and use examples and ideas from. Quick and easy. I would just say that these are a good starting point but you will need other programs to teach dress-ups and other types of writing such as literary analysis.