Menu

Have you used All About Spelling levels 5 and 6?

lovetobehome

My daughter has done great with AAS levels 1-3, and we begin level 4 next week. I wondered, though, after that, should I keep on, or do you all think by that time enough rules are known to go on to Sequential Spelling, which is what I have used for my son and want to eventually move my DD into.

Have you used AAS 5 or 6? Comments? THANKS!

Hmmmm...thinking about similiar issues. DS#1 (a natural speller) has completed Levels 1-4 and I wonder if he really needs Levels 5 and up or if I should go on to something like Megawords or just make my own word lists from Natural Speller.

Or, since I have 3 coming up behind him (DS#2 is currently in Level 2), go ahead and get Level 5, 6, and (7?), let him work through AAS at an accelerated pace and then I'll have all levels of a non-consumable program that I am familiar with to use with all the rest of my dc.

DS#1 hasn't done any official spelling in months (since finishing Level 4) and he rarely has any misspelled words in his dictation and writing.

My daughter has done great with AAS levels 1-3, and we begin level 4 next week. I wondered, though, after that, should I keep on, or do you all think by that time enough rules are known to go on to Sequential Spelling, which is what I have used for my son and want to eventually move my DD into.

Have you used AAS 5 or 6? Comments? THANKS!

My oldest is a natural speller. She was spelling at a 7th grade level when we started AAS. I tested her this fall and she was at a 8.8 grade level (doing book 4), so something is working.

We loved book 4, and now book 5. I can't wait to get to book 6 (which we will shortly) and later book 7. After that I am dropping spelling instruction for her. But I feel it is important to finish what is working, so we don't have to go back and start over later, especially because it will only take another year.

Heather

We're using 5 now and will be moving into 6 sometime this spring (I have it waiting on my shelf!). I think 5 is when you begin to see things come together. You don't have all of the phonograms until Level 5, it covers ie and ei words, how to look at roots to decide tion or sion suffixes, irregular plurals, more ea words etc...

Level 6 covers many tricky word endings--ain, ive, ture, ice, cle, cal, il, el, al, le, us, ous, ible, able, etc... There are clues given for how to decide which ending to use in many of these cases. Looking ahead, there is still lots of valuable information. HTH! Merry :-)