Menu

If you are in Classical Conversations Essentials...

I signed up during the summer to have my son involved. Overall, it has been ok. My son is ok with it but not loving it.  I am finding that this is a lot of work. This is the first year we have done grammer, and writing. The grammer is fine. The writing just moves really fast and he isn't getting it as well.

Also, what do your groups do with their younger siblings? We had someone watching the kids and they might end up not being able to watch the kids. I know that for the morning part of CC the parents have rotated watching the kids in the nursery. I really don't want to rotate. Hopefully something else will work out.  It so overwhelming to keep up with the work.  Hey, maybe watching the other kids would be a nice break (or it could just be more hassle.....) ;)

I feel for you!! Is it possible to take a dvd somehow for your 7 year old? Or have them read ... take a rest.... etc... I'd just say, "I am soooo sorry, but I just can't miss any of the class or I can't figure it out." You can also take 2x as long for the writing... or whatever you want to do. Tell the tutor how much time a week you have... and ask for suggestions to stay within that time frame.

Breathe... he's little.... you're fine!!!! I direct a CC program, and it would be wise, in my opinion... to have a conversations with the tutor :)

I'm sure she could be in class with me if she could sit still and be quiet. However, after having had to do that all morning, it is a strech for her. I don't think they would let me put her in a room by herself to watch a dvd.

Thankfully, the tutor is super nice and has been great to work with. The problem is not from her. The problem is the kids earn tickets based on the work they do. It gets pretty competive in the class.

Well, I was thinking more about a movie that you would bring and have her sit in the back of the room with... I've done similar things with my son who is 7. My daughter has a portable dvd player (with ear buds) or we have a cd/dvd player that I can bring (with ear buds) I've brought leapfrog books/pads... etc...

Yup, competitive is hard... 9 is hard in the class :( I start in 4th instead of 3rd because of that.... (Although maybe your son is in 4th?? :) Just brainstorming with you:) Some of the moms in our group have grandparents or friends pick up their kids... You're not alone in feeling like it's a lot of work :)

I don't have a portable DVD player so I didn't even think about that there would be an option for listening with earphones! Great idea! I think I will need to buy one :) I wish I could think of someone for her to go home with. however, the one lady who would do it, is having a baby in the next month, so not a good option:D No grandparent live near us.

And remember to ask the Essentials Tutor if you're doing the 1st year level... both for IEW and for EEL..... It's MUCH less than when you've been in for a few years.... For 3rd and 4th grade it's entirely the right way... to do it... to do the LEAST amount of work.... So, I think for IEW... it's Level A?? or something like that... and for EEL.... it's just the first level..

His work should not be as much as the 5th and 6th graders in the English grammar or the IEW...

I second the post about tailoring the lessons to your childs age. My 11 yo is in essential and doesn't even do it all! I wouldn't put my 9 yo son in though. He would drown. I'm not even putting him in at 10!

I would let the tutor know that the competative nature of the class is really stressing the two of you out.

Our essentials class is NOT competative. We are there to learn together and help one another. I'm sure she would tone it down. Maybe come up with other ideas to make the kids motavated....without it being so compaetative.

CC is academic in nature...but above all else we are all seeking to glorify God.....not teach our kids that this life is all about competing and winning.... just my 2cents.

My dd is 10, and she is struggling a bit to keep up with the writing, but we keep plugging away. We don't have any drama this year though, my son is finished with cancer treatment, no one is seriously ill, no one died, and so on. Those sorts of things make it difficult for everyone in the family to get through daily things.

You can decide how much work your son does. I would talk to the tutor and tell her about your struggles and let her know that you want to take 2 weeks for the writing assignment or just skip some of the new charts until your son has the old ones memorized (this semester there are few if any new charts). The idea is that each year the student takes EEL they will be able to tackle harder and harder tasks. It is not meant to be a one year program.

As for the competitive nature, some of that is good, but it can be extreme. Our tutor gives candy or small prizes for things she goes over in class that the kids can say back to her. Basically she wants everyone to pay attention during class rather than finish X at home to get a prize.

We have started rotating this semester with the younger kids also, because we lost our babysitters. Basically one or two moms work with the kids for 1/2 of EEL so that no one is gone for more than 1/2 the class. Maybe you could suggest something like that and request that you be able to stay with your son during the writing time because that is his biggest struggle. It is easy to miss out on the math review time and the charts are explained in the EEL guide. We have enough moms to rotate so we only have to leave the class 3 times this semester.

No you will not get a refund if you quit now.

Good luck with your decision.

• 2 years later...