Menu

Cuisenaire Rods vs MUS blocks

AngelBee

Cuisinaire rods are 1-10 cm long. Do the MUS blocks use the same measurements? If so, then they'd work for some of Miquon. That said, the colours will be an issue as they won't be a match. (I can't recall how often colours of the rods are mentioned in Miquon, but I'm pretty sure it comes up sometimes.)

Cuisinaire rods are 1-10 cm long. Do the MUS blocks use the same measurements? If so, then they'd work for some of Miquon. That said, the colours will be an issue as they won't be a match. (I can't recall how often colours of the rods are mentioned in Miquon, but I'm pretty sure it comes up sometimes.)

I don't think any of the colors are ever shown, so I figured I could just sub the writing for matching color to block. He can't read yet anyway! :lol:

I will measure them. I know he calls them "cubic units" but I can't remember if they measure out to be 1-10cms.

If they're a little different in size, I think they will still work for some of the Miquon activities, a lot of them, actually. I assume they're still proportional, right -- the MUS 10-rod will still be the same as 10 of the 1-rods, the 8-rod is twice as long as the 4-rod, etc.? If that's the case, then they should work for many of the activities. Maybe the ones that use measurement will be a little trickier, but you can still use them to introduce area and such, just being aware that it won't be 4 cm, but 4 units, y'know? We have all of the Miquon books, but we haven't gotten through the latter ones yet; I can check and see though.

If they're a little different in size, I think they will still work for some of the Miquon activities, a lot of them, actually. I assume they're still proportional, right -- the MUS 10-rod will still be the same as 10 of the 1-rods, the 8-rod is twice as long as the 4-rod, etc.? If that's the case, then they should work for many of the activities. Maybe the ones that use measurement will be a little trickier, but you can still use them to introduce area and such, just being aware that it won't be 4 cm, but 4 units, y'know? We have all of the Miquon books, but we haven't gotten through the latter ones yet; I can check and see though.

True. That is one way I could do it too.

I am paging through Miquon book 1 right now. :)

They are different sizes. If you wanted to you could remake the Miquon pages by hand to work with MUS blocks. The Miquon Lab Sheets are really low-tech (and basically hand drawn in any case). It wouldn't be that hard.

Bill

True. That may be easier than painting a second set of rods. Cheaper too! :)

True. That may be easier than painting a second set of rods. Cheaper too! :)

I actually made a lot of home-made lab pages when we started with Miquon, at least as many as actual lab-sheets from the books. My son seemed to enjoy the handmade ones at least as well (if not more).

Bill

I purchased my set of rods, used at a homeschooling store for about $8. I would never consider painting anything. To me that was so cheap, it would be worth it to not have anything to make.

I am just concerned about the colors being different than the MUS blocks which he is already familiar with.

Maybe it wouldn't be an issue...

I think the colors are important. I can't remember if it mentions it in the Miquon book, but I know some of the CR resources do, also some of the computer games use the colors of the rods. If you were going with Miquon, I'd just want the right rods, maybe that's just me.

I am supplimenting with Miquin. MUS is our main curriculum.

Thank you all for your help. I will brainstorm. On bedrest, so I don't have much else to do! :)

I think sometimes we make things more complex than the kidlets do; I wouldn't be surprised if he just adapts to the different colours for different programs without a blink of an eye. Maybe just give it a shot and see how he does? You'll know pretty quickly if it confuses him, and you can make a plan for how to deal with it then.

So u think it would confuse him because my MUS blocks use different colors for each size?

My younger 2 used both MUS and Miquon before we switched to Singapore PM. They didn't have any trouble with the 2 sets of color/number correspondence. On the rare occasions I use manipulatives with them now, we use whichever set of blocks is missing fewer of the numbers we need. (MUS for 10's and 100's, Cuisenaire rods for making quart/pint/gallon/cup conversions).

My younger 2 used both MUS and Miquon before we switched to Singapore PM. They didn't have any trouble with the 2 sets of color/number correspondence. On the rare occasions I use manipulatives with them now, we use whichever set of blocks is missing fewer of the numbers we need. (MUS for 10's and 100's, Cuisenaire rods for making quart/pint/gallon/cup conversions).

Good to know. Thanks :) Maybe "I" am the one who is confused! :D