Menu

Water filters anyone??

I'm looking to buy a water filtering system with our tax rebate. I want something that can mount under my sink, and has a separate spigot for the filtered water so I don't waste it washing dishes. I would also LOVE for it to be able to filter the water going into my ice maker.

I'm also hoping to stay in the $400 range if possible...

Any suggestions??

I was looking in Urban Homemaker and $400 was the best price I could find.

Does a RO system use filters? I just don't want to buy something that I won't ever be able to find a filter for (like our fridge).

What are the prices of your filters?

Our water taste really bad so we bought a "Whirlpool - Kitchen Faucet Filtration" (For under the sink) Cost $30 (thought we would try cheap first.)

It worked great, but after a few days, the hose popped off and sprayed water everywhere!!!!! WHAT A MESS!!!! It was all over my kitchen!!

Check that all the holes cannot easily pull out! Or you'll be up till 1:00 AM cleaning like me!

Don't buy the Whirlpool - $30 system....not well made!!

Delta makes a PUR water filter faucet that dispenses only cold water. We have one and it works great. We don't have an icemaker so I didn't research whether any faucets have them.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/search?query=pur&x=14&y=8

I'm looking to buy a water filtering system with our tax rebate. I want something that can mount under my sink, and has a separate spigot for the filtered water so I don't waste it washing dishes. I would also LOVE for it to be able to filter the water going into my ice maker.

I'm also hoping to stay in the $400 range if possible...

Any suggestions??

Look for a unit that is reverse osmosis since they do the best job of actually "purifying" the water. We've had a GE undercounter unit for about 8 years and it has worked really well. I love the seperate spigot feature and the water tastes very good/clean. My dh and I were just talking last night about having to upgrade to a bigger unit for our family of 6. I think that involves a tank in the basement under the sink. Hmmm.

Anyway, for our under-the-counter unit, we have to change the filter every 6 months. It's a bit of a process, but not too terrible. The filter costs around $40. There is another filter that has to be changed every couple of years and it costs around $100. I believe this is the case for all RO units.

We have this Reverse Osmosis filtration system. RO systems do have filters that need to be changed, but not frequently. I believe on this model, there are two filters that need to be changed. One is changed yearly and the other is changed every few years.

Here is a picture of what our filter looked like after one year of use. So, it seems like it does a good job and it tastes great too!

Good luck.