Menu

Where does one get tested for dyslexia?

Dd is older (16) and has always had spelling issues, as in she's an awful speller. She leaves letters out of words and sometimes writes them with a couple letter switched. She claims to see numbers backwards sometimes.

She and I are wondering if she is a little dyslexic. Her math score are over the top on standardized tests, but her reading scores have decreased from 88% to 56% on different tests over the yrs. She's also a very slow reader. She does well in school and appears to read well-she taught herself when she was 3, so if she is dyslexic she's compensating well.

Where would I find testing? Would you have her tested?

My mom is working in pediatrics. At her office they have a nurse practitioner who is trained or certified (or whatever it is :)) to diagnose dyslexia. If I was going to try to get help for one of my children I think I'd start with a call to the doctor to see if they have something there. If they don't I would imagine they would have contact numbers for your area.

Dd is older (16) and has always had spelling issues, as in she's an awful speller. She leaves letters out of words and sometimes writes them with a couple letter switched. She claims to see numbers backwards sometimes.

She and I are wondering if she is a little dyslexic. Her math score are over the top on standardized tests, but her reading scores have decreased from 88% to 56% on different tests over the yrs. She's also a very slow reader. She does well in school and appears to read well-she taught herself when she was 3, so if she is dyslexic she's compensating well.

Where would I find testing? Would you have her tested?

She does sound like she could well be a dyslexic who is smart and compensating well. What would you want out of an evaluation? Would you want accomodations for the SAT and in college? (That would be reasonable. She would typically be given extra time on the standardized tests.) If so, I would go to someone who is very experienced in testing for dyslexia because the obvious stuff will be hidden. You'll need to ask around in your area. I would check with any nearby universities with educational or psych departments to see if they do testing. A neuropsychologist would be my top recommendation.

I beg of you - not at a public school!!!!! :D

Sorry -

Anyway - we tried that, what a waste of time.

I would try to get a referral to a neuropsychologist for the testing.

We had a very positive experience, and I can tell you - he completely nullified all of the information I was given by the PS's - which had made no sense from the beginning.

where does one find a neuropsychologist?

I have a seven year old I'd like to have tested. And I'm not sure where to begin.

Does he need a neuropsych too? Or?

I did ask at my pediatricians and they had really no idea.

Alley

I would call the hospital and ask if there is one in your area. Usually hospitals have a doctor finder service.