Menu

L.A. area Homeschoolers (ages 9-14) complete 12 Novels!!

I am so proud of the homeschoolers in my Creative Writing class – check out their amazing accomplishment: http://www.knittedthoughts.com/2011/01/homeschool-student-novels.html

They each wrote and published a novel ranging from 100-150 pages this fall semester. I’m so proud of them and what they have accomplished with all their hard work and effort! I don’t want to take up everyone’s time here, but if you’re interested in a writing project like this for your child, my blog post has all the details of how we accomplished this and I’d be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,

Holly Van Houten

This is SOOOOOO impressive! It shows what can be done! I wish I could send my kids to you for Creative Writing when the time comes!

What made you think that each in this group would write a novel over the course of this class? Did they know what they were in for when they signed up for the class?

Do you ever wonder if any of these kids will grow up to be novelists or professional writers of another sort (novelist, journalist, or just daunting task of writing a thesis for a Ph.D) since they have successfully accomplished such a task as this with writing as a tool?

"Duckens" -- You make a great point. Now that these kids have this under their belt, the writing tasks you mentioned will never seem "impossible" to them again. I told them all that one day when they're famous authors, university libraries will be vying to get this original copy of the their "First Novel." And yes, they all knew what they were signing up for. In fact, this class filled up almost immediately with a long waiting list. I'm offering it again this spring and it's already full. There are lots of ambitious and hard working homeschoolers out there. We parents must be doing something right!!!!

There is also the experience these kids now have of taking on a large project/task and successfully completing it.

Again, a Ph.D thesis is what I am thinking of; but I'm sure there are other projects that, to complete, one needs a long term vision, as well as the tenacity to work on it day in day out in increments and problem solving along the way.

Absolutely -- these kids (should they go on to graduate school programs) will have a very different attitude toward their thesis projects. They know how to organize their ideas and they have the confidence that they can complete such a sizable undertaking. They all now look at their other writing tasks with new eyes. A 1000 word essay will never again intimidate these kids who got quite used to writing out a few thousand words each week for several weeks running. A few of them were quite reluctant writers when we started too (their parents had enrolled them), but now they're all eager to do it all again! Can't ask for a better outcome than that! :)

I'm flattered cubfan -- I'll have to give that some thought. It does seem as though much of what we did could be done on-line, especially if I could incorporate some Youtube videos and have the kids work through a forum (maybe one like "Ning") where they could comment on each other's writing. I'd hate to lose the "writer's workshop" feel of the class where we reviewed each other's work and served as audience. That taught each writer so much. Definitely something to consider :) Would any other's be interested in having their kids do an on-line class like that?