Menu

When to teach IEW's High School Essay Intensive

When would be the best time to view the SAT portion of the video's to have an adequate amount of time to practice writing the essay's? I've heard anywhere from 9th-11th. Eleventh sounds a little bit too close for my comfort. Is 9th too early? Just right? Should we wait till 10th? What do you think? I've heard a weekly timed practice is good once you've viewed the videos.

I did it with my eleventh grader starting in September. We did the video portion over several days then followed up with their suggested 14 day lesson plan. Now we are just continuing on doing one a week until the March SAT exam. I really like doing it this way as we spent 10th grade really honing in on the 5-paragraph essay along with literature analysis papers.

Myra

Here's my preference, but it is only a preference. I'm getting ready to do IEW's Elegant Essay with my 9th grade DD. This easy to follow curriculum gives a great overview of the essay model along with some truly practical tools. This year and next, we'll focus a lot of energy on writing essays. Then, in the later part of 10th grade, we'll do the Essay Intensive to prep for the SAT.

OK, there's my plan. I hope it helps.