Menu

New HS Mom looking for secular history

julievalvano

Hi,

I have a 2nd grader and 3rd grader and need a secular history program that will carry me for a few years, even into high school. Does something like this exist? I'm thinking along the lines of a main book with side literature but need that spelled out for me. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm struggling in general to keep my kids in my home and not in public school because putting all these pieces together is not easy for me. I'm having the same problem with grammar but let's stick with history.

We have read SOTW and are on book 3 and I'd rather switch to a main book on world history then US history, European history etc. My kids are working about 2 grade levels ahead of their chronological age.

Thanks,

Julie

Secular history is always a challenge, but you've got options.

You can find the K12 history books, used copies cheap. I picked up a copy of K12's "The Human Odyssey: Prehistory Through the Middle Ages" for $13 delivered and as far as I can tell the book was never opened. A lot cheaper than buying a year of history curriculum from K12. :)

In addition to HO and SOTW, a member here has kindly publisher (for free) her secular history curriculum including some logic stage:

http://www.ClassicalHouseofLearning.com

You can also follow along something like the Kingfisher Encyclopedia and add books on subjects of interest.

ETA: I'm currently doing a month long unit on prehistory and evolution, and I plan to use the book Ancient Science to tie the history and science together. For history, if you can get across the basic facts and get them thinking about some of the whys and how things influenced and reflect each other (such as art, philosophy, music, politics, society) your kids will be waaaaay ahead of most ps students and many college students. ;)

Edited by ChandlerMom

I am reading The Complete book of US History with my son right now. He really likes it and it was very affordable. We pick up books from the library that go along with what we are reading.

We are about to start this! I made a schedule that ties in topics from DK's Encyclopedia of American History as well as book from Sonlight & WP. There are tons of movies, website "virtual tours", and crafts for US History. I think there is a similar book for world history.

I think the Oxford Univ Press series called the World in Ancient Times is a really good series - secular, academic, well-written, uses primary sources, includes books on non-western cultures, appropriate for kids of various ages (but not babyish in any way). There are two other series covering up to modern times. I think it's aimed at Middle School, but could sustain your kids for a number of years... I believe there are student and teacher's guides as well, though I only have the regular textbooks.

Is HO very labor intensive?

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of HO, but it's about the only secular history program that will get you through high school. It does an outstanding job of following TWTM recommendations, imo. We used Ancients and Middle Ages level 2. We found the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia quite dull. The format with snippets of information and colorful pictures did nothing to help retention here. YMMV, however. Many people use and love HO.

Is HO labor intensive? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be used quite independently. Unfortunately, at my house, HO offered too much freedom for an unmotivated student to do a mediocre job. Thus, it becomes labor intensive only if the teacher requires it of an unmotivated student.

Here are some old threads for more information:

History Odyssey: Pros/Cons? Advice?

Why isn't History Odyssey more popular?

RE: History Odyssey Pandia Press

FWIW, we used SOTW in 2nd-5th grade. We loved it and I highly recommend it. You may read my review here. It will not get you through high school however.

We are currently using History at our House (see signature). It has its own pros and cons - see here. I personally would not use it with grammar stage children because SOTW is much better and much cheaper. It will however get you through high school.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

We are about to start this! I made a schedule that ties in topics from DK's Encyclopedia of American History as well as book from Sonlight & WP. There are tons of movies, website "virtual tours", and crafts for US History. I think there is a similar book for world history.

Would you mind sharing your schedule? You could PM or email me if you don't want to post it here (if you're willing to share that is). I'm trying to put together a US History course for next year and have that book (which I like), some books from Sonlight, the OM 5th grade US History guide (bought used in pretty beat up condition but no writing and useable for less than $10), and some other things. I'm just intimidated by all that I have so far and the idea of going through it and trying to put it all together! I would be SOOOO happy if you'd be willing to share.

I am reading The Complete book of US History with my son right now. He really likes it and it was very affordable. We pick up books from the library that go along with what we are reading.

I lined this up with booklists from Guesthollow and SL. I am using the Complete book of Us History as my spine, although we dont read from it much, I use the living books instead. I then checked out American Kids in History books for some project ideas. I am having my DD notebook about what we read and we are adding dates to timelines. We also check out our Globe or wall map for any locations we read about. We are really loving doing History this way!

ETA: I also used the site A Book in Time to pick books

Edited by kwickimom

I think the Oxford Univ Press series called the World in Ancient Times is a really good series - secular, academic, well-written, uses primary sources, includes books on non-western cultures, appropriate for kids of various ages (but not babyish in any way). There are two other series covering up to modern times. I think it's aimed at Middle School, but could sustain your kids for a number of years... I believe there are student and teacher's guides as well, though I only have the regular textbooks.

Could you give links or the titles of the books? I think I might have one of these but I didn't know there were more.

ETA: oh never mind. I just googled it. It's not what I have afterall.

Edited by ~AprilMay~