Menu

transcript dilemma - how to list Singapore math.

dirty ethel rackham

We are visiting a slew of colleges this spring, starting next week. I am working on a preliminary transcripts as some schools asked to see them. Ds17 did Singapore from 3A through NEM2. He got bogged down in NEM and took too much time to go through NEM 1 and 2, so we switched to Art of Problem Solving classes, where he is thriving. He did the Algebra 2 and 3 classes with them and is starting the pre-calc class in a couple months. He will start their calculus class in the fall. How do I put those on his transcript? Many colleges seem to want to see the Alg 1, geometry, alg 2, pre-calc, calc sequence.

We did the NEM series also, and I believe NEM1 and NEM2 cover most of Alg 1 and Geometry (I just looked at my NEM3 and it appears to be mostly Alg 2 and trig concepts). So I would go ahead and list them all on your transcript as follows:

Algebra 1

Geometry

Algebra 2

Algebra 3

Precalculus

Calculus (planned)

It's not so common to see Algebra 3 on a transcript, but I would definitely list it that way because he took an official course with that title (and especially if AoPS provides transcripts of their courses, you want it to match yours.) Besides, the fact that your son took such a course is impressive, and you want your transcript to reflect that.

(Oh, and if you're confused about calling the NEM portion Alg 1 and Geometry, note that NEM is just the curriculum you used for those subjects-on the transcript you list course titles that colleges will recognize. Hope that makes sense.)

Mine made it through NEM3 (or almost) and then started precalc at CC or at home with me.

I put Integrated Math 1, Integrated Math 2, Integrated Math 3, CC precalc on the transcript of the older one, and I will put Integrated Math 2, Integrated Math 3, precalc, CC calc (hopefully) on the transcript of the younger one. Then I put a note at the bottom saying that Integrated Math is algebra and geometry.

-Nan

this is what I put on the transcripts too.

Mine made it through NEM3 (or almost) and then started precalc at CC or at home with me.

I put Integrated Math 1, Integrated Math 2, Integrated Math 3, CC precalc on the transcript of the older one, and I will put Integrated Math 2, Integrated Math 3, precalc, CC calc (hopefully) on the transcript of the younger one. Then I put a note at the bottom saying that Integrated Math is algebra and geometry.

-Nan