Menu

Grammar Handbook to use with MCT for reference

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

It seems to me that it would be very handy to have some kind of grammar handbook for reference when using MCT. I'm not talking about a book with activities, just a reference book. What would the Hive suggest?

ETA that I'm looking for something that is just a grammar reference (no exercises, etc) and covers all grammar through highschool or college level. Here is what I currently have:

Warriner's English Composition & Grammar

http://www.amazon.com/English-Composition-Grammar-Complete-Course/dp/0153117362/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295213379&sr=8-1

It's probably my favorite reference so far but it's a course book with exercises/etc, not really a "reference." It also covers composition.

Shurley English 7 Teacher Manual

While I find this a handy reference it's not nearly as deep or detailed as I'd like and is a teacher manual instead of a reference.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

I just looked at the table of contents and I don't see anything about verbals, verbal phrases, etc. Am I missing something or is it pretty basic? I'm looking for something that wades into grammar pretty deeply.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Writer's Inc. and Winston Grammar Basic are the two I use the most with MCT Island, but I also own The Blue Book and Our Mother Tongue. It is nice to have a reference.

HTH-

Mandy

The Writer's Inc seems to be heavier on writing than grammar and Winston Grammar is a program that is teaching rather than a reference, correct (amazon doesn't have samples)? Maybe I should edit my post and be more specific.

Just throwing this out there - I had a book in my shopping cart for weeks and just deleted it the other day, but I believe it *might* (or might not LOL) be just such a reference. I think it was more relevant to high school and up. Oh, it's still there under my saved items

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0829409106/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

but there doesn't seem to be any description. I don't know how I even found it. Very odd.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Just throwing this out there - I had a book in my shopping cart for weeks and just deleted it the other day, but I believe it *might* (or might not LOL) be just such a reference. I think it was more relevant to high school and up. Oh, it's still there under my saved items

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0829409106/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

but there doesn't seem to be any description. I don't know how I even found it. Very odd.

I just read the TOC and it looks very promising, thank you!! It's not too expensive so I think I may order it.

I just read the TOC and it looks very promising, thank you!! It's not too expensive so I think I may order it.

I think this book may be one thing I am looking for - I just didn't know that I had already found it! :lol: Naturally, I just placed an amazon order yesterday with the free shipping :glare:. Oh well, soon enough I'll want to order some other book, I'm sure.

I have Warriner's Composition and Grammar. It's the one both MCT and SWB recommended. Oh I guess I should have read your post. Ha Ha Ha.

I just picked up Thomas Kane's New Oxford Handbook of writing (I think that's the title) that SWB recommends for high school writing as a reference. It is actually quite readable and entertaining. I haven't read enough yet to decide if I will buy it but my friend, a writer, looked at and bought it immediately through AMazon.

For diagramming, I keep checking out Rex Bark's as well as an online site I like to use.