Menu

Medical Transcription

I used to work in medical transcription, but that was 20 years ago (hard to believe it was so long ago). I would like to get back into it but definitely need to go through training again, as I have forgotten much of the terminology, and I'm sure technology has changed since I've done it. I would like to take on on-line training course. Has anyone heard of Meditec or been trained by them? I've read some good things about the course and internship, but I am cautious about jumping in with a company that merely looks good on "paper". Even if you haven't used Meditec, do you know of reputable on-line training courses for MT? I would love to hear about your training, experience and work situation. Thank you.:)

I used to work in medical transcription, but that was 20 years ago (hard to believe it was so long ago). I would like to get back into it but definitely need to go through training again, as I have forgotten much of the terminology, and I'm sure technology has changed since I've done it. I would like to take on on-line training course. Has anyone heard of Meditec or been trained by them? I've read some good things about the course and internship, but I am cautious about jumping in with a company that merely looks good on "paper". Even if you haven't used Meditec, do you know of reputable on-line training courses for MT? I would love to hear about your training, experience and work situation. Thank you.:)

Can you contact potential employerss and see what they recommend? If you have the background but just need a refresher, they may be willing to train you. I'm not sure how many practices use in house transcriptionist, but maybe you can start out feeling your market out and reach out to some transcription companies first? They would seem a better place to start vs. hospitals and private practices because they employ more transcriptionists.

Good luck to you!

lisa

I just thought I would mention that I would check what the availability for work is before I invest in any more training. I am a medical transcriptionist for a local hospital, the last one in the region using in house transcriptionists. Some have outsourced the work to India and our hospital system is moving to voice recognition software over the next months and many of us will be losing our jobs as then they will only need editors. The work is seriously drying up. The online transcription services require experience that can be difficult to come by. It has been a great job for me for the past 8 years but my prospects are bleak if I end up being one that loses my job this year.

I just thought I would mention that I would check what the availability for work is before I invest in any more training. I am a medical transcriptionist for a local hospital, the last one in the region using in house transcriptionists. Some have outsourced the work to India and our hospital system is moving to voice recognition software over the next months and many of us will be losing our jobs as then they will only need editors. The work is seriously drying up. The online transcription services require experience that can be difficult to come by. It has been a great job for me for the past 8 years but my prospects are bleak if I end up being one that loses my job this year.

Wow, definitely something to think about. I hadn't though that MT would be outsourced to India. It just seems so wrong. Thanks for the heads up. I hope you get to keep your job!