Menu

S/O Mid-year check in.....

Today, while out for my bimonthly bagel run, I popped in SWB's Middle Grade writing. I've listened to this MP3 several times...always in the car. I've never had a chance to sit and take notes which really helps me to process and cement. While listening to the MP3, I was making a mental check list - yes we do that, Do we do that? Yes, but how often? etc. I think this was a great time for me to reassess what we've been doing in writing and make any adjustments, ramp up as needed. We need some ramping up! :auto:

Just thought I'd post about it in case someone else needed the idea to do a mid-year assessment. Thanks Swimmermom!

For me writing is the most difficult as I try to do it across the curriculum as SWB suggests....it's not do the next thing like math, spelling, grammar.

I'm also in the process of making a Resource folder for myself. In the front, I have pages that I need to reference during school. For example, there is a cheat sheet for diagramming, the wonderful sheet someone posted at K-8 forum for grammar, a sheet w/ pronouns ordered by person and singular/plural, as well coord conj and sub conj the boys have memorized. I have SWB's questions to ask primary and middle grade students regarding literature, primary source documents, how to outline which I took out of WTM2009, my lists of good words to use, connecting words, etc.

I then have tabs divided by grade level for the next 3yrs. So when I read about a wonderful curriculum for 7th grade, I can jot a note or print out the post and either paste it to the page or 3-hole punch and insert. I'm also adding a tab for bits of wisdom posts that I would like to print out. I save them on the computer but I think they will be read more if there are in my binder.

I have a 2page spread where in columns, I write down page numbers or chapter numbers for our curricula. There are 20 rows so 20 weeks each page. I then highlight w/ a yellow highlighter when we complete those pages and chapters. So at a glance, I look at which week we are (now week 18) and I can tell instantly if we're where I had planned us to be. Sometimes it's ok where we are b/c we took a detour or something needed more work but more often, it's b/c something fell by the wayside and this is a good reminder to pick it up again.