Menu

Bravewriter anyone???

Can someone please tell me about Bravewriter? How does this work? What type of writing does this teach? I'm a little bit confused about how this is set up and how it all works?

Thank you for any help that you can give me. I would be considering this for a 5th grader, among many of my other considerations.:tongue_smilie:

:bigear: :bigear: :bigear:

I was just going to write a post on this myself. I just finished mapping out the rest of MCT Island and realized we'll be finished with SI sooner than I anticipated. I was thinking of filling that space with something from Bravewriter, but don't know what?

Capt_Uhura very helpfully pointed me towards Arrow. As I told her, my eyes kinda cross every time I visit the Bravewriter website.:lol:

Bravewriter covers all aspects of language arts in a variety of ways. Her approach follows a process that begins with reading and talking about the topic, writing about the topic via freewriting, narrowing and expanding the topic, and then polishing the piece. Of course, there is more to it than that, but that is the core. It is a process that works for many students. One of our sons took several of Julie's classes, and they helped him tremendously. Julie's approach is especially good for children who write well on an academic level but have not found their voice.

Julie encourages a lifestyle that is rich with language; i.e. reading aloud, tea time with poetry, Shakesperare, etc. We taken several of Julie's courses, and they are excellent. At the high school level, Julie's materials teach the type of essays and documentation required for college. If you want to fill in, I would suggest buying one Arrow or Boomerange download packet which will last a month. The packet will give you ideas for dication, grammar, literature and writing. If you want to take a class, start with Kidswrite Basic or Just so Stories.

While I love Bravewriter, it's not for those who need an out of the box writing curriculum. I have The Writer's Jungle and it's helped me change the way I look at teaching writing. Though my son has not taken any of her (rather pricey) classes, we've done some issues of The Arrow (for ages 8-12) and Boomerang (approx. junior high level). It has worked well for my boy who hates to write. It's labor intensive on the parent end, but IMO well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
While I love Bravewriter, it's not for those who need an out of the box writing curriculum. I have The Writer's Jungle and it's helped me change the way I look at teaching writing. Though my son has not taken any of her (rather pricey) classes, we've done some issues of The Arrow (for ages 8-12) and Boomerang (approx. junior high level). It has worked well for my boy who hates to write. It's labor intensive on the parent end, but IMO well worth it.

Is it any more teacher intensive than CW?