Menu

Am I teaching math wrong or am I using

runningirl71

the wrong program? My 10 yo daughter seems to be not "getting" it. We have used Abeka and Saxon in the past and are currently using Singapore. The spiral approach just seemed to confuse her (too many different kinds of problems at the same time). BUT, lately, she seems like she can't figure out anything unless I'm right there explaining it step by step and doing half the problem for her. She is doing Singapore 4B with the extra practice book. She has been doing some reviews the past couple of days and says she can't understand the directions.

She is working on fractions and decimals which I know are hard concepts to understand. I just am really stumped with what to do with her. She needs a mastery approach, but it also seems like she needs a spiral approach too or there it too much time between concepts for her to remember them all and do the review.

I thought I would be sticking with Singapore until she finished through 6B. We have switched programs a couple of times and I hate to switch again as I feel we are backtracking. Do I need to slow down? Do I need to put her down a grade in math? Any suggestions?

When we come upon a new topic in Singapore that I know we may have problems with I take some time and work slowly through things in the textbook doing a few problems a day together letting her take over the problem solving as she feels comfortable.

Once I know she has the concept down which can be the first day through doing all the textbook work in a unit including the review for that section, I will then let her do the work in the workbook. With us working together so much on the stuff in the text she is usually more than ready for the workbook and it is much easier.

The thing with Singapore is that everything builds upon everything else. What we learn how to do in level 2 as the "hard" stuff is now what you do as the easy stuff in level 3 and so on. example--level 2 works on addition and subtraction with regrouping, in level 3 you are using this skill to solve problems about time, money and measurement.

I would just slow down, take your time and get the concept down. You may need to go to a math worksheet generator site or elsewhere to track down more practice on this skill. It will come.:001_smile:

I went back a level in the R&S English when my dd felt overwhelmed. She did sooo much better!

I don't know Singapore books very well (I JUST got my dd level 5B for work on areas she's not strong in yet--haven't gotten around to it yet), but maybe there is one at a lower level that would be clearer for her? Then she can jump back up when she gets it!

When we come upon a new topic in Singapore that I know we may have problems with I take some time and work slowly through things in the textbook doing a few problems a day together letting her take over the problem solving as she feels comfortable.

Once I know she has the concept down which can be the first day through doing all the textbook work in a unit including the review for that section, I will then let her do the work in the workbook. With us working together so much on the stuff in the text she is usually more than ready for the workbook and it is much easier.

The thing with Singapore is that everything builds upon everything else. What we learn how to do in level 2 as the "hard" stuff is now what you do as the easy stuff in level 3 and so on. example--level 2 works on addition and subtraction with regrouping, in level 3 you are using this skill to solve problems about time, money and measurement.

I would just slow down, take your time and get the concept down. You may need to go to a math worksheet generator site or elsewhere to track down more practice on this skill. It will come.:001_smile:

I'll give this a try. I go with the teacher's schedule in the IG but maybe it would be good to switch it around, work through the tb, and then move on to the workbook. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I find that both of my DDs usually have trouble with one or two topics in Singapore a year. Generally, we stop when I recognize that they aren't getting the concept, move back to the beginning of the section, and then start working through the program at a much slower pace. Generally, I'll model the examples in the textbook adding in manipulatives to illustrate the concept, help them through a few problems, and then ask them to explain a few problems to me. Some days we get to the workbook, and others we just work in the textbook.

My older DD was also having a lot of trouble with fractions this year in 3B. You can see our homemade fraction manipulatives here. Having the visual and going slowly made all the difference in the world here.

HTH

My older DD was also having a lot of trouble with fractions this year in 3B. You can see our homemade fraction manipulatives here. Having the visual and going slowly made all the difference in the world here.HTH

What a great visual! Maybe Daisy and I will have to make one of those! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the encouragement too. Starting tomorrow, we're going to start at the beginning of the fractions section and re-work the problems. Oh, I feel so much better. Sometimes it takes just a little bit of encouragement and knowing I'm not alone! :)

I agree with the others that some topics just need more time and practice to "stick". Slow down, use manipulatives as described in the HIG (if you have it). Make up some more practice problems for her to solve until she is doing them on her own.

It took my ds 4 months to get through long division, but then he had it cold. He actually gets excited now when he realizes he "gets" to do long division! (go figure).

My dd had a really hard time with the fractions in 4A, but ds is getting them easily. She didn't have nearly as much trouble with long division. Every kid is different, and there may not be enough practice in the book. That's okay. At this level, it's pretty easy to make up similar problems. Just keep helping her as much as she needs, while coaxing her to do a little more on her own each time. She'll get it.

5-10 minute daily drill sheet that had to be done at the beginning of each of our math lessons. There would be about 10-20 problems of whatever math skills needed to be reviewed on a regular basis. As each day progressed, ds began to master the skills and I could then switch the problems that he knew with newer concepts that hadn't made it to drill yet.

The math drill sheet made a remarkable difference and was pretty painless to implement. I had to make sure the drill sheet was checked by me and we would discuss incorrect problems and then move onto our lesson. By implementing the drill sheet I could use whatever math program I wanted and still get the extra review in regularly.

The drill sheet is always a review and never a place to introduce a new topic. It is also not meant to be overwhelming just to be a practice sheet to cement the skills. I started using this technique when my ds was struggling with pre-algebra and I realized that he didn't really grasp fractions and decimals so our first drill sheet was working with fractions.

If this doesn't make sense, feel free to ask.