Menu

8th grade reading lists?

I coordinate my lit with our history rotation ala WTM. You might want to check out the recommeded readings in the lit section of TWTM for 8th grade, or for whatever history cycle you may be on.

My 8th grader is doing middle ages this year, and he's reading the recommeded books from the logic stage WTM list, which is included under the 6th grade information. I up the difficulty level a bit by adding in few harder reads.

Do you have any good sites with good reading lists?

I am currently looking at this one.. any thoughts?

I coordinate my lit with our history rotation ala WTM. You might want to check out the recommeded readings in the lit section of TWTM for 8th grade, or for whatever history cycle you may be on.

My 8th grader is doing middle ages this year, and he's reading the recommeded books from the logic stage WTM list, which is included under the 6th grade information. I up the difficulty level a bit by adding in few harder reads.

I had thought about that but we will be switching to MFW next year and she will be doing ECC before starting Ancients in 9th. I dont know what I would do for that. Any thoughts?

I am currently looking at this one.. any thoughts?

One commment on that list is that James Herriot's book is misclassified as an (auto)biography (LL7 gets this wrong too). It's fiction - yes, based on real episodes in Alf Wight's life, but fictionalized. Alf Wight's wife, for example, was not a farmer's daughter. The town he worked in was not in the Yorkshire Dales, but in the lowlands. The timeline is different from real life. Many of the episodes in the later books were actually retold from events that happened to his son. He did this on purpose and never sold the books as autobiography but as fiction, and tried his darndest to

obfuscate his identity. For an actual biography of "James Herriot", the one by his son James Wight is great: The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of my Father. I found it in the YA section of the library - it was a good read - might be cool to read alongside All Creatures.

For pleasure reading, who cares how it's classified... but I think it's wrong to study it as an autobiography or memoir and more than the Little House books.