Menu

Dual Enroll classes and Bright Future credits...

Guest KaciMI

While preparing dd's highschool transcript, a friend pointed out that I need to check Florida school codes to determine approved credits on courses. I noticed that six of dd;s 3-credit college classes are only awarded 1/2 credit. I want to comply with Bright Future's, but her transcript will show that her college classes are worth less those given by mom at home.

It will make her transcript more realistic as far as number of credits for one year. I guess I'm curious how you folks are handling your DE credits on your kiddo's transcripts.

Edited by KaciMI

We will use the guide put out by our community college as well. Very generally it is one full credit for math and science classes, one full credit for the first two levels of a foreign language, one half credit for most English and humanities classes, and one half credit for the third and fourth levels of a foreign language. Unfortunately, our CC doesn't allow dual enrolled students to take any classes in the music department. But it does allow students to enroll any time after graduating 8th grade, so long as they can pass the common entrance exam.

You wrote: "As to Bright Futures, if your dc have the appropriate test scores (28+ for the ACT for the top $) you don't have to submit a transcript at all."

That is good to know. Don't know why I couldn't find that.

Curious... if dd submits a great transcript (she's had straight 4.0 in her college classes) will she need to take the ACTs?

Curious... if dd submits a great transcript (she's had straight 4.0 in her college classes) will she need to take the ACTs?

If she is a homeschooler, she must comply with the Bright Futures rules for home educated students. It is based on test scores only, and they are higher than scores needed for public or private school kids. If you are under an umbrella school, then she can obtain a Bright Futures scholarship under the public/private school rules -- grades + lower SAT/ACT scores. ALL students have to comply with the volunteer hours requirement.

Lisa

P.S. And be sure to file this before graduation. I almost got caught b/c I thought I had some time but it must be submitted before the graduation date.

If all the cc classes have been under DE & she's planning to go on to a U, yes. Since they're considered a freshman w/credit, they need to fulfill all the freshman requirements. They'll still get to keep the credit (at least in-state), but they're officially freshman.

Also, take a look at the school she's considering for their homeschooler requirements. They may want the transcript to be notarized. Of course, if you're using a "600" school, they'll treat her like a private school applicant. Another good thing about DE classes is you don't have to take the SAT-II tests.