Menu

Favorite fiction?

Hey--I'm new to the world of fiction and looking for recommendations. I'm open to pretty much anything, as long as it's substantive and well-written. (and yes, I've searched some of the older threads.) What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance!

Honestly, my favorite fiction is Harry Potter. I know it is supposedly children's literature but I rarely come across much adult literature that is as well written and entertaining.

:iagree:

Absolutely LOVE the HP books. I never thought I would.

Books and movies are so very subjective. You're looking for substantive and well-written .. I'll try my best here based on my list of favorite books.

The Kite Runner

then wait about 6 months (or else it's Afghanistan overkill ;)) before reading his even better book Thousand Splendid Suns - this one, by far, is amongst one of the best books I have ever read

The Help

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her - but this is her first and IMHO, her best book

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg - her best one - don't know if it's particularly substantive and well-written, but really, really a nice read

Funny in Farsi - if you need a good laugh (and, don't we all?) :D

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Secret Life of Bees

The Book Thief

I LOVE these book threads. I love all the suggestions and ideas. :)

I like most of James Clavell's work, James Mitchener's 'Poland,' Tamora Pierce's teen fantasy, Garth Nix's Abhorsen series, 'Phantom of the Opera,' for starters :)

Rosie

Rosie, need to look into some of these. I have loved some of James Michener - The Source and Caribbean. The others, I'm going to look into. :)

Rosie, need to look into some of these. I have loved some of James Michener - The Source and Caribbean. The others, I'm going to look into. :)

Ok, I know how to pronounce it. I was too lazy to check the spelling :tongue_smilie:

I've read a few of his, but I thought Poland was the best.

:)

Rosie