Menu

Abeka vs. CLE Math

love3es

I'll give this a try, but keep in mind I've only used CLE 400 level. I have used ABeka 1, 2, & 3. I have the teacher's editions for 5 & 6.

Both are spiral meaning they introduce a concept in a lesson and then in future lessons have one or more practice problems using that concept. The lessons build on each other.

Both are put out by Christian publishers, although they can be used secularly, IMO.

Both have workbooks for the student. CLE and ABeka have sections at the beginning with worked out sample problems, with the difference that CLE "teaches" more to the student and ABeka assumes there will be an outside teacher of the concept.

ABeka has "Lesson Plans" they sell which include lots of oral & written review ideas and full explanations of how to teach the concept -- not just the formula. These are in addition to the "Teacher's" manual (mostly an answer key).

CLE has Teacher's Manuals and (separate) answer keys.

Both use speed drills to cement math facts for 'instant' recall. Lots of drill.

CLE has a reminder with each lesson which math facts to drill with flashcards. This info is in ABeka's "lesson plan" book along with a lot more stuff.

ABeka tries to sell you a lot of charts & expensive games & flashy extras. (I've never purchased them & don't believe they are necessary.)

ABeka is full of color, pictures, & gimmicks at the lower levels (up through 3 for sure).

CLE is green/gray-scale colored thin workbooks in bite-size chunks (17 lessons each) called "light units." ABeka's workbooks are thick and meant to have their pages ripped out.

Both have tests. CLE also has quizzes. ABeka's tests & speed drills are sold separately. CLE's are included in the light unit workbooks. They each check the student's knowledge on a weekly (every 5 lessons) basis.

I would say ABeka moves faster up to level 3 or so. Each has their own scope & sequence. CLE seems to have more metric/decimal & geometric stuff in the early books vs. ABeka. ABeka moves through all the multiplication tables (up to 12x12) in their 3rd book. CLE is still teaching 11/12 families in Level 400.

----------------

CLE's lessons can be 3-5 pages long. Abeka's are always two pages (front & back) + sometimes homework to be completed on a separate sheet at higher levels.

From my own perspective, I will continue to us & am happy with ABeka Levels 1, 2, & 3. I really like CLE level 400 for an introduction to things ABeka hasn't touched on. My eldest is using CLE 400 & is almost done with that level. She hates CLE because of the lengthy lessons (among other things) and has begged to go back to ABeka since the second Light Unit. We'll be going back to ABeka in the fall, but I am planning on using CLE 400 with the next one when she gets to that level. If nothing else, it makes the whining less next year because I can always threaten to switch back to CLE. :tongue_smilie:

We've only used CLE, so I can't compare it to Abeka. In the younger grades with CLE (we've used 1, 2, and 3) you do not the TM's to teach the program. Well, or at least I have never used one. I did not purchase any of the flashcards or extras until 3rd grade, at which time I finally bought the multiplication cards. They have speed drills, but we never incorporate them & my daughter does fine without these. However, I love that they're there if needed. I love CLE because it's inexpensive and very effective. There are a handful of pages for each lesson (but sometimes one page will only have a few problems), but we switched from Rod & Staff Math where there were far too many of the same exact problems over and over, so CLE was a breath of fresh air. They have samples online. They have a placement test too (highly recommend). You can buy just one LU for a few dollars. There is a yahoo group too, where you could find something used for quite cheap (or get a better feel for the curriculum from the users there).

Susan

We haven't used CLE, but did use A Beka through 3rd grade for dd8. I love their lesson plan books because they explain the lesson so simply and thoroughly. Plus, the TE's are cheap to buy used. I did buy (used) some of the flashcards which are not necessary, but my dds really do enjoy them. Hope this helps!

I haven't used Abeka. We switched from RS and Math Mammoth. My ds much prefers CLE. He loves knowing there are only 4 pages to do (and one of them is usually explantion). He can do the work independently because the teaching is to the student. Frankly, my 1st grader can too. She takes her book and works ahead for 'fun'. We do the speed drills separately from math time as a sort of morning warm up. We don't do the flash cards at all. I'm just thrilled to have a math program that doesn't cause tears and seems to be teaching with retention.

This sounds weird, but we actually do Singapore + CLE Math. It seems to be working very well. CLE reinforces a lot of stuff that Singapore flies through and Singapore helps them visualize the math concepts (and has lots of word problems).

I've used ABEKA, CLE, ACE and a mish-mash of others. We ONLY use CLE now. I really have a strong dislike for ABEKA. I feel the material is overpriced, over-complicated and academically inferior to just about everything else available.

CLE is the best math program we've used. It's simple, inexpensive, easy to use, easy to administer, makes record-keeping VERY easy, and is academically top-shelf. It's very challenging (it runs a year ahead of our state's standards of learning, which are among the highest in the US), yet it presents the material in bite-size segments. I call it the "Mary Poppins Approach." ;) I love the fact that I can buy three levels of CLE for the price of ONE level of any of several alternate options. (Important since Dot blows through two levels a year and Yacko has to finish two levels before next September!)

My only complaint about CLE math is that the Sunrise editions do not go all the way through. They end after the 800 level, so we have to decide what we're going to use for Algebra (my kids go back to public school for high school.)