Menu

Online math options?

My oldest (8th grader) is taking Algebra 1 at The Potter's School. Math is her weakest area in that it seems the most difficult for her to understand -- her strengths include writing, photography, and music. She's making an A in Algebra, but it's in part because my husband works with her several times a week, reteaching and going over corrections. (BTW, I think it's this particular child and not the instruction at TPS. Also, she was not able to enroll in the extra class for problem solving on Fridays due to scheduling conflicts.)

So...I want to investigate other class options for Geometry and beyond to see if one would be a better fit for her. I'm especially interested to see if any meet for class more than once a week because I think she'd benefit by having smaller chunks of material presented at once.

I'm also considering the path my current 6th grader could take for Pre-Algebra through high school.

We are using Derek Owens (in my signature) for Physics this year, but he also offers high school math courses via distance learning. You can read my review here. It's not quite the same as online via TPS, but the lessons are short videos, so it might work better for your dd. I noticed that abbeyej is using him for math in this thread. You can see sample videos at his website.

My 14 yo dd has been using Aleks.com as reinforcement to her Honors High School Geometry class. Is is an online individualized learning system which you can align with your state standards. My dd does it willing and happily because it helps her see concepts in a different light and gets her to practice the areas she needs help in with immediate feedback. I don't think I'd use it as a stand alone course but it is absolutely fantastic as a supplement and I highly recommend it.

My 8th and 9th graders are taking Algebra with Ms. Jann. I,too have a student that struggles with math and I sometimes think that he would benefit from a class that meets more than once a week. The pace can be a bit daunting for the two of us as it is fast-paced for us and a good deal of work(for those of us who struggle with math!)

I know that sometimes I feel that we spend more time than necessary on a daily basis for math just to get our assignment done. We do an average of 90minutes to 2 hours a day. I guess I look at this way in that math scores are very important and I feel if we are going to spend extra time on any subject that math is probably one of the best ones to focus on. We always find time for history, science and the fun subjects.

However, food for thought...I know that since I struggled in school with math that I would be terrible at teaching him so I wanted to consider online this year. Jann came recommended on TWTM and I like that the class is small and that she makes herself VERY available to answer questions and help.

He would not get that in ps or private school and would perhaps do poorly as I did.

Jann offers classes which you can read about here. They would be my recommendation and something I intend to pursue as soon as feasible.