Menu

Russian Grade 1 Mathematics

Ray

Source: UCSMP textbook translations (1980 ed. translated 1992)

I use this with my son and received requests for pics from text so here you go ;)

awww thank you so much for visual!!!!! that reminds me of my 1st grade (i am from Russia originally). Thank you so much!!!! are you in America?

Would kg and liters and cm confuse you guys a bit?

Do you know where these can be purchased, please? I have access to the RM6 that Perpendicular Press publishes, but have not been able to find any other levels of the books....

Regena,

I edited my first thread to include a link to materials- Now RM6 is actually a Estonian book and not a part of this series so far as I can tell. Note the Russian Math 6 by Nurk is fully excellent! The UCSMP materials only have the 1-3 grades available to joe q public, but I have seen references to others in the series but no full translated texts:glare: Anyway the grade 1-3 series is still an interesting take on Arithmetic.

sniped quote>< are you in America?

Would kg and liters and cm confuse you guys a bit?

Trying my best,

Yes, we are in the USA- Northern Nevada. And yes having to learn Imperial measurements plus Metric units is cumbersome. Another bother is the english language itself, for example thirteen instead of something like 'one-ten three'

Side note; Once upon a time there was a man Thomas Jefferson, who helped America to be the first country on the planet to us a monetary system based on the decimal system... no such luck with the metric system though... too bad we might be driving flying cars if he had:D

[ I am not 100% on the Jefferson decimal thing, just something I read somewhere]

Edited by Ray

I somehow have missed any post on this. What is Russian math? How is it different than what we learned here in the US?

One thing I liked was the early introduction of <> =, the kids allready have this initial math concept peg to begin hanging ideas off of; just bring out something they find tasty like ice-cream, see how keen their awareness of greater than less than relationship is.

From what I gather the ucsmp translation series were just one of several math texts that were studied to see what made math texts from high achieving countries tick.

If you dig through the PDF book at this link you will find more in-depth information that may help;

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229689&highlight=Free+math+milgram

And yes having to learn Imperial measurements plus Metric units is cumbersome. Another bother is the english language itself, for example thirteen instead of something like 'one-ten three'

Hilarious.

I make my kids learn metric and imperial. I have a good feel for mL and cm, but not so much others. But I think it's worth cultivating. I used only mL for chemistry classes, for instance.

Thanks for posting this, and the pics, Ray. I appreciate it. Have you seen MEP? How similar do you think they are? (MEP is based on Hungarian system.)

My husband met someone who was homeschooling using Russian math books but (alas) was using Russian language ones. I was pretty disappointed not to have another resource for Russian books in English!

**ETA: By the way, Milgram's FTP site has some other articles on Russian math books including excerpts/discussion of the 4th grade math problems, and an article about the nature of math proficiency that draws on the Russian progression.

Edited by stripe