Menu

Is there a virus that causes

excruciating upper back pain? Dh & I both have strange swollen spots on our backs, & can't lift hardly anything. I've just gotten over a cold; he escaped that one.

It's been nearly a week, & it seems to be getting worse, not better. :tongue_smilie:

It's not the skin that hurts--it's the muscles. Maybe even the bones. Like being in a train wreck, though--not ordinary back pain. And it's both of us...although, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

My point about the swollen spots was just that it's bad enough that it's visible. Ds has started complaining about the same kind of back ache today, & he's got a swollen spot on his shoulder.

I mentioned spider bites, because they can cause horrible muscle pain at times. Very Strange, I will be :bigear: to see if anyone can figure this one out. I hope both of you feel better soon!

I'm completely creeped out, since we just found a brown recluse the other day, but I don't think we were bitten by anything. The pain isn't that localized, & there's not any kind puncture. Blech, though. The thought of it gives me the willies. I have too vivid an imagination for this kind of thing! :001_smile:

Wow, Very strange. I had to take my dd to Urgent Care during the week of Christmas because of this. They gave her some muscle relaxants and antibiotics and it eventually went away. This week, my dh and younger dd are complaining about the same thing, upper back/shoulder pain. No red spot, though. How odd!

Wow, Very strange. I had to take my dd to Urgent Care during the week of Christmas because of this. They gave her some muscle relaxants and antibiotics and it eventually went away. This week, my dh and younger dd are complaining about the same thing, upper back/shoulder pain. No red spot, though. How odd!

No, I'm sorry, it's not a red spot, just a knot big enough to see the bump. We all three have them on our right shoulders; I also have a few scattered around the rest of my back.

Do you know what the diagnosis was for your dd?

Have you started any new medications? I had horrible upper back (between my shoulder blades) pain when I took Prilosec (generic). I took the medication for 3 weeks and it took about 4 weeks for the pain to completely go away. (I had some other side effects too)

I was on antibiotics for an ear infection the week of Christmas. Other than that, no.

The doctor gave no diagnosis. The only thing he mentioned was viral menningitis (which scared me half to death), because she also had a terrible headache. He said to take her to the ER if the headaches worsened or if she got a fever or intense neck pain.

Looking back, dd believes that the headache may have been caused by the heat and smells of the fast food restaurant she works at, because she is still getting them when the smells get too strong.

Her back pain went away after about four days. My husband's pain is still going strong; it's been about a week, and youngest dd is feeling better now after five days.

The doctor gave no diagnosis. The only thing he mentioned was viral menningitis (which scared me half to death), because she also had a terrible headache. He said to take her to the ER if the headaches worsened or if she got a fever or intense neck pain.

Looking back, dd believes that the headache may have been caused by the heat and smells of the fast food restaurant she works at, because she is still getting them when the smells get too strong.

Her back pain went away after about four days. My husband's pain is still going strong; it's been about a week, and youngest dd is feeling better now after five days.

If we had fevers, meningitis is exactly what I'd suspect. We've got stiff necks & headaches, & it feels like the whole spinal cord is swollen.

But no fever!

Swollen lymph nodes possibly....not a virus, but the reaction to one.

Here is a map of the lymph nodes on the 'back' of the body. It is a view from the front of the body looking through to the back. Are any of the locations similar to what you are feeling?

I get swollen lymph nodes along my cervical spine when ever I have a lot of allergy symptoms. They are sometimes the only symptom, other times they herald typical sneezing etc. They create a bit of a dull ache in my neck, but if they were under a muscle and pushing on that, I can see where they could be more painful.

If we had fevers, meningitis is exactly what I'd suspect. We've got stiff necks & headaches, & it feels like the whole spinal cord is swollen.

But no fever!

I would visit the doc with that description. Meningitis is still a possibility w/o a fever.

From Dr Sears website:

HOW IS MENINGITIS DIAGNOSED?

A doctor looks for several clues when examining a child for meningitis:

Stiff neck - as discussed above.

Photophobia - as above.

Severe back pain when the legs and knees are pulled up to the chest - this stretches the inflamed lining of the spinal cord.

Lethargy or extreme irritability in infants.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I would visit the doc with that description. Viral meningitis is a possibility.

From what I've read, they can't do anything about viral meningitis--you only go to make sure it's not bacterial. And w/out a fever, it *looks* like it couldn't be either. You know, based on the scary google searches, lol.

Um, Aubrey...... go to the doctor, okay? :grouphug:

Dh is going to the campus clinic this afternoon. We'll see what they say.

Today is the worst I've felt, so it's either bottoming out & I'm about to get better, or...yeah, I guess I'll have to go to the dr. :tongue_smilie:

A couple of years ago two of my boys came down with a viral illness (cold). One night at bedtime, when they were about over the cold, they both complained of leg pain. First one, then a few hours later the other, had pain so severe they couldn't walk. The younger one crawled up the stairs to bed because he couldn't stand. I called ask-a-nurse and was told to bring them to the ER right away. So, I got them back out of bed and dragged them both to the ER in their jammies. A couple of hours later (around midnight) we had the diagnosis of myocitis, or inflammation of the muscles. Apparently it is a common side effect of some viral illnesses to have muscle pain for a few days. Who knew? Their pain did go away within a few days. If you have insurance, I think you should go get looked at, though.

HTH!

Dh is going to the campus clinic this afternoon. We'll see what they say.

Well, they barely looked at him, gave him some pain meds, & sent him home. :glare: Things like this are why I hate going to the dr, w/ or w/out ins. It's just so not worth the time, effort, & often even the $. :tongue_smilie:

A couple of years ago two of my boys came down with a viral illness (cold). One night at bedtime, when they were about over the cold, they both complained of leg pain. First one, then a few hours later the other, had pain so severe they couldn't walk. The younger one crawled up the stairs to bed because he couldn't stand. I called ask-a-nurse and was told to bring them to the ER right away. So, I got them back out of bed and dragged them both to the ER in their jammies. A couple of hours later (around midnight) we had the diagnosis of myocitis, or inflammation of the muscles. Apparently it is a common side effect of some viral illnesses to have muscle pain for a few days. Who knew? Their pain did go away within a few days. If you have insurance, I think you should go get looked at, though.

HTH!

Hopefully that's what's wrong with us. The boys aren't looking so good, though. :001_huh:

Well, they barely looked at him, gave him some pain meds, & sent him home. :glare: Things like this are why I hate going to the dr, w/ or w/out ins. It's just so not worth the time, effort, & often even the $. :tongue_smilie:

I think that is ridiculous! (Your husband's experience, not your husband. ;) ) When a reasonable adult actually takes the time to seek medical advice, it bears looking into, or at least some sort of explanation for the symptoms. Oooh, this brings out the Mother Bear in me..... But we are still rather raw after seeing about twelve doctors (including a neurologist) before a doctor would finally listen to me and agree with my diagnosis of dd's neurological, late stage Lyme disease, and begin treatment.

So sorry you are experiencing this!