Menu

Question about Catholic guilt? :)

Which is a great example of a tradition or discipline developing which is at odds with good theology. One should not need to be remembering already confessed sins, they're gone. But I also can't quite imagine not being able to come up with a single small foible to confess.

I can see that there could be pastoral problems with this approach, but I'm not sure it constitutes bad theology. If the sins are always "gone" in the sense that we're never supposed to remember them any more, how could anyone ever make a general confession? Or do additional penance (which is certainly allowed, with proper spiritual direction)? Or make ongoing efforts to make amends, e.g. by praying for people who might have been hurt or scandalized by one's past sins? So I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

I have to get back to the little folks (before I need to go to confession for spending too much time online :tongue_smilie:), but will be looking into this more. Thanks for such a thoughtful and interesting discussion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no salvation except through Jesus but faith alone is no guarantee that we will be saved. So when we Catholics sin, it creates a much stronger feeling of guilt because we don't have this blithe assumption that our faith in Christ alone is sufficient.

Actually, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9). And,

"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,†and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." (Romans 10:9-10)

(Also Galatians 2:16, Titus 3:5-7)

As a frequent confession goer (I kept a list throughout the week so I wouldn't forget anything) who ALWAYS felt guilty, I was blown away by Romans! I was so relieved and amazed to discover that I could not earn my salvation. Jesus has already paid for it! His grace is not a license to sin, and not cause to take sin blithely. Now obedience is not motivated by guilt and fear of hell, but gratitude for His grace and mercy, and a desire to please the One who gave His life for me.

"For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." (2 Corinthians 2:15)

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time" (2 Timothy 2:9)

(Also Ephesians 2:10, James 2:18)

I rarely comment on religious threads. This might be my second time. But I thought it was worth it to step into the fray and share how I was delivered from G-U-I-L-T. It feels good. :D