Menu

A Question about Funnix

AngieC

I'm hoping to get a little insight on Funnix before I download it since it's such a large program and so many people seem to be having problems with it.

Is Funnix a computer program like Time4Learning where the computer teaches the lesson and then the child answers questions on screen (something they could do by themselves that resembles a game) or is it just the lessons on the computer? My kids would definitely enjoy a T4L type of program, but I think they would tire of it quickly if it's just the lessons that are on the computer and they have to give their answers to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Angie

You have to be next to them and they give the answers to you. Most of the time the answers are reading something out loud. Bear in mind that my dd finished this program 4 years ago, so i don't remember it perfectly.

Headsprout is much more gamelike, but it isn't cheap.

My youngest is dyslexic. She did Headsprout at the start of 2nd grade when she was still sounding out every word as though she'd never seen it before (although she could spell the word instantly). Headsprout's visual processing exercises did wonders for her. It also has auditory processing exercises, but that's a strength of my dd's, so that part didn't really help her.

When my dd finished Headsprout, I needed another program to pick up from there and Funnix level 2 is what I found. I was worried that my dd wouldn't like it because it isn't nearly as gamelike, but she actually liked Funnix 2 better than Headsprout.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I'm hoping to get a little insight on Funnix before I download it since it's such a large program and so many people seem to be having problems with it.

Is Funnix a computer program like Time4Learning where the computer teaches the lesson and then the child answers questions on screen (something they could do by themselves that resembles a game) or is it just the lessons on the computer? My kids would definitely enjoy a T4L type of program, but I think they would tire of it quickly if it's just the lessons that are on the computer and they have to give their answers to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Angie

Its a computer program. Not a game though. The "instructor-teacher" talks to the kids. You sit there (if a child is little) and hit the button NEXT. After the lesson the "teacher" asks a child to compete some paper. Its also provided on separate PDF file.