Menu

Reviewing -ed endings

SkateLeft

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to teach -ed endings? My 4th grader is still struggling with spelling words with -ed endings. He also has a tough time reading some words with -ed endings. Today, the word "saddened" threw him off.

I remind him that -ed can make three sounds: /ed/, /d/ and /t/, but it's just not clicking.

I would think the spelling rule would be the same as any other suffix that starts with a vowel (-es, -ing, etc.). You could have him apply the same way he learned for other suffixes if he's not having trouble learning those.

One thing I had my ds do was pronounce it both ways and see which made sense.

saddened with 2 syllables or saddened with 3 syllables, obviously the 2 syllable way sounds right.

There are actually rules about when it makes each sound, it is the last page of my spelling rules (#5 at end of my how to tutor page.)http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

You might also benefit from the syllable division rules and exercises.

The rules for adding suffixes are not on that sheet, there are too many to type up, and only older students need them. They are all covered in my phonics lesson 22. I also have some good links to several websites that include most of the suffix rules if you would prefer a list.

Edited by ElizabethB

Yes, we've covered all the rules. The problem is, we've gone over them numerous times over the course of the past few years and he's just not internalizing them at all. (He did two years of K12 phonics and spelling, followed by two years of McRuffy. He's still using McRuffy.)

I think he just needs way more practice, so I suppose that's what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any favorite websites or resources for targeted phonics/spelling practice?

I really like Marcia Henry's Words , it combines a bit of Latin and Greek roots and vocab with spelling/pronouncing practice, it is very efficient, doing spelling, reviewing phonics, and doing root study all at once.

For specific ed worksheets, I would google and find some, you will probably find ESL resources most helpful, none of my spelling or phonics books have any work with which sound ed makes beyond a bit of teaching its 3 sounds initially. My ESL students and students with speech difficulties have needed some additional work with that, but have been fine with my rule and a bit of work as words come up, looking at my rule for reference. My phonics lessons also cover the rule a bit with some example words.

(Here is the rule, BTW)

Words that end in a d or a t will say “ed:” ended, added; fasted, listed

Words ending in the sound of a vowel, b, g, l, n, m, r, s as a z sound, v or z will end with the sound of d:

mobbed, logged, hauled, claimed, barred, closed, loved

Words ending in the sounds of ch, sh, f, k, p, s, or x will end with the sound of t:

laughed, kicked, hopped, bossed, boxed

This looks like a good worksheet from an ESL site:

http://www.englishforeveryone.org/Topics/Pronouncing%20ed%20Endings.htm