Menu

Anyone using/used Soaring With Spelling and Vocabulary?

tonersl

I am in need of something different for spelling to use with my 10 yr old son. He is not a natural speller and Spelling Power is just not working for him as well as I would like it to work. My dd 9 does well with Spelling Power but she is what I would call a natural speller.

Has anyone used or is currently using Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary (a Growing with Grammar product) and could give me the pros and cons? I like the look of it on their website (http://www.growingwithgrammar.com) but it is always hard to tell from the samples. How did you determine which level to use?

Thank you for any input you can offer me, either good or bad.

Happy New Year!

Shannon in NC

My 7yr old dd is using it and LOVES it. It is her favorite part of of the day. Pretty independent. I like the fewer number of words in the younger grades so that we can really learn them. First grade has 6 words and second has 8 words a week. It goes up from there but so far my dd really likes it.

My 11 year old ds is using SWS (6th grade level) and he really likes it. We go over the words/definitions the first day, and do the pretest. The rest of the week he does independently, then we do the test on Fridays.It's enough practice, but not overkill. We're also doing Growing With Grammar (5th grade level ) and he loves that. We're doing it slowly, mostly to reinforce things he really didn't "get" the first time around. I have been pleased with both of them

Nan