Menu

Math Relief

This program sounds so appealing, gets glowing reviews from the people who have posted about it in the past, and is in Cathy Duffy's Top 100 list, but it doesn't seem like very many people are using it. I've only just heard about it this week and I spend lots of time on the boards.

I'd love to hear about people's experiences with MR, both positive and negative. My son is still a little young (he's in R&S Math 6), but he has some lds, so I've been doing lots of research to try and formulate a plan for him. I was all set to go with Lial's for algebra but Math Relief is really calling to me because of: 1) its glowing reviews, 2) the dvd factor, and 3) some parents reporting their children were really enjoying math for the first time when they began using this.

TIA!

Lisa

Lisa,

I used MR with my struggling older dd and with my youngest ds who is a strong math student.

I agree that it is under-used. I think probably the main reason is that he *only* does Algebra. So many people want a full K-12 math program. But to me, it makes perfect sense that a teacher may be gifted at one area, just like most high school teachers I've met. To pad the program with dozens of other courses doesn't make it a good program, IMHO. In fact, this year we're in between Math Relief I and II, & my ds is doing Jacob's Geometry. I've felt it was really good for him to have a completely different teacher for a year. (Plus, he is dying to get back to Mr. Firebaugh now!)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm a big fan :)

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

We have loved Math Relief. My son will complete (finish) Algebra 2 this week. I just spoke to the author about that and he recommended a few programs that we can continue with, but they are not going to be furthering the program because of lack of funds and sales. Bummer! We love, love, love this program. We have done both Algebra 1 and 2. :)

Dee

ps per the author's advice, we completed Algebra 1 and 2 before doing any geometry, so now will take a geometry course. Algebra 2 does have some geometry, though.

Edited by deeinfl

Lisa,

I used MR with my struggling older dd and with my youngest ds who is a strong math student.

I agree that it is under-used. I think probably the main reason is that he *only* does Algebra. So many people want a full K-12 math program. But to me, it makes perfect sense that a teacher may be gifted at one area, just like most high school teachers I've met. To pad the program with dozens of other courses doesn't make it a good program, IMHO. In fact, this year we're in between Math Relief I and II, & my ds is doing Jacob's Geometry. I've felt it was really good for him to have a completely different teacher for a year. (Plus, he is dying to get back to Mr. Firebaugh now!)

Julie

Thanks, Julie. I've searched the archives and read a lot of posts by you explaining and endorsing the program, so that was really helpful. I guess I'm just wondering why so few use it and if there are others currently using it that have anything to share. It really sounds like it would be perfect for my son.

Lisa

We have loved Math Relief. My son will complete (finish) Algebra 2 this week. I just spoke to the author about that and he recommended a few programs that we can continue with, but they are not going to be furthering the program because of lack of funds and sales. Bummer! We love, love, love this program. We have done both Algebra 1 and 2. :)

Dee

ps per the author's advice, we completed Algebra 1 and 2 before doing any geometry, so now will take a geometry course. Algebra 2 does have some geometry, though.

Dee -

That's what really has me stumped. I wonder why there is such a lack of sales? When I went to the website and saw what kind of shape that was in (no samples, no e-mail contact, etc.), I figured I better make up my mind now and either start buying modules new or used because it looks to me like this company will eventually be going out of business. I wonder if it is the price? It is expensive, but to me it seems reasonable when I consider how much I would pay for an outside class -- the big if, of course, is whether or not it will be a good fit for my son. I will be so upset with myself if it doesn't work out for him after buying it, especially since I had been seriously considering Lial's, which is dirt cheap.

Thanks for sharing that you have been happy with the program, though. That is encouraging.

Do you mind sharing what programs the author recommended continuing on with?

I guess the last question would be is do you have the dvd version and are you interested in selling it or do you have a another child you will be using it with?

Lisa

Dee -

That's what really has me stumped. I wonder why there is such a lack of sales? When I went to the website and saw what kind of shape that was in (no samples, no e-mail contact, etc.), I figured I better make up my mind now and either start buying modules new or used because it looks to me like this company will eventually be going out of business. I wonder if it is the price? It is expensive, but to me it seems reasonable when I consider how much I would pay for an outside class -- the big if, of course, is whether or not it will be a good fit for my son. I will be so upset with myself if it doesn't work out for him after buying it, especially since I had been seriously considering Lial's, which is dirt cheap.

Thanks for sharing that you have been happy with the program, though. That is encouraging.

Do you mind sharing what programs the author recommended continuing on with?

I guess the last question would be is do you have the dvd version and are you interested in selling it or do you have a another child you will be using it with?

Lisa

Lisa,

When I first got Math Relief for my older dd, the website had much less (around 2002). I know it isn't high tech, and he admits that (he said VideoText had $1 million to set up their program, and he's a ma-n-pa organization.)

Anyways, now Math Relief even has a video sample! The program doesn't have a "textbook" to show, except maybe a few sheets of info every so often. What it is is videos for every lesson, worksheets with the problems already written out, and a complete answer key with copies of the same worksheets and answers fully worked out. I suppose they could have a sample of a worksheet -- you might ask them, but they will all be different. If you watch the sample video, you'll see the types of problems that will be on the worksheets. There are tons of problems. My math-savvy youngest didn't need to do all the problems during the first phase, but he benefited from doing all of them later on.

And they answer emails very quickly. You get the email when you click on "contact." Just want to be sure you're at the correct site:

http://www.mathrelief.com/

HTH, Julie

Lisa, my Algebra 1 is a video set and two of them were eaten up by my very poor VCR. Come to think of it, I better order these up soon before they do go out of business, though he didn't mention that at all. He just said that business was slow going right now and they didn't have the funds to continue making more levels. So I was wise the second time and purchased Algebra 2 on dvd. I was considering saving them for my next son. He's only 10, but the time does fly by and knowing that this program may not be in existence in a few years makes me want to hold on to them...

I don't know what to tell you. I've seen Lial's and it looks great as well, and I own Basic College Math for years and I have never parted with that book because of the great explanations.

We have loved having a video program. We have been able to watch a lesson over and really get it if we were ever stumped. (this rarely happened, but once or twice when learning something new, we re-did a lesson)

I did (actually worked through and with) Algebra 1 with my son. I never took this in highschool and it was amazing learning Algebra for the first time in my life--as an adult. Unfortunately, when it reached the last phase of the quadratic equation, my brain was too fried and burnt out from homeschooling my other children, so he was left to watch the video and learn on his own, and he still thrived and figured it out. At the end of the year, he was given the choice to go with a different publisher and he chose Math Relief Algebra 2 again. When I asked him why, he mentioned the ease in which he was able to understand the teacher. It has given him a love for math and a love for the thrill of figuring out the next math puzzle.

HTH,

Dee

ps the author is amazing with getting back to any and all questions and you can call him as well. His wife is so sweet, too!

pps Sure, he actually recommended Chalk Dust Geometry for a studious child who wanted a challenge. He recommended Math U See for a child who needed the basics, but still wanted proofs. He also mentioned that there was very little proof work on either test, the ACT and the SAT. He mentioned a few others, but I can't remember them now. PM me and I'll get back to you because I have it in an email. ;)

okay, found the email. I'll paste his reply below:

If you have not completed Geometry, then try one of the following:

http://www.ChalkDust.com (challenging).

http://www.MathUSee.com (easier & sufficient to take SAT/ACT tests).

"Keys to Geometry" (available through TimberDoodle) -- pamphlet-type booklets.

Local Community College (dual enrollment -- high school & college).

University of Nebraska High School (largest correspondence school in the world for homeschool students, serving a lot of military and missionary students).

If you want subjects beyond geometry, then the preceding suggestions are also available from them.

Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus follow algebra and geometry. These can be studied from good materials (including video) that are produced by Larson/Hostetler/Edwards.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

(714) 840-8004

mathrelief@socal.rr.com

Lisa,

When I first got Math Relief for my older dd, the website had much less (around 2002). I know it isn't high tech, and he admits that (he said VideoText had $1 million to set up their program, and he's a ma-n-pa organization.)

Anyways, now Math Relief even has a video sample! The program doesn't have a "textbook" to show, except maybe a few sheets of info every so often. What it is is videos for every lesson, worksheets with the problems already written out, and a complete answer key with copies of the same worksheets and answers fully worked out. I suppose they could have a sample of a worksheet -- you might ask them, but they will all be different. If you watch the sample video, you'll see the types of problems that will be on the worksheets. There are tons of problems. My math-savvy youngest didn't need to do all the problems during the first phase, but he benefited from doing all of them later on.

And they answer emails very quickly. You get the email when you click on "contact." Just want to be sure you're at the correct site:

http://www.mathrelief.com/

HTH, Julie

Julie -

Thanks for finding the e-mail address for me. I'd much rather e-mail than call. I can't get the sample video to work. I see the big words "Sample Video", but there's nothing under it but a big blank space. It may be that I need to make some updates on my computer.

Thanks again for all the info!

Lisa

Lisa, my Algebra 1 is a video set and two of them were eaten up by my very poor VCR. Come to think of it, I better order these up soon before they do go out of business, though he didn't mention that at all. He just said that business was slow going right now and they didn't have the funds to continue making more levels. So I was wise the second time and purchased Algebra 2 on dvd. I was considering saving them for my next son. He's only 10, but the time does fly by and knowing that this program may not be in existence in a few years makes me want to hold on to them...

I don't know what to tell you. I've seen Lial's and it looks great as well, and I own Basic College Math for years and I have never parted with that book because of the great explanations.

We have loved having a video program. We have been able to watch a lesson over and really get it if we were ever stumped. (this rarely happened, but once or twice when learning something new, we re-did a lesson)

I did (actually worked through and with) Algebra 1 with my son. I never took this in highschool and it was amazing learning Algebra for the first time in my life--as an adult. Unfortunately, when it reached the last phase of the quadratic equation, my brain was too fried and burnt out from homeschooling my other children, so he was left to watch the video and learn on his own, and he still thrived and figured it out. At the end of the year, he was given the choice to go with a different publisher and he chose Math Relief Algebra 2 again. When I asked him why, he mentioned the ease in which he was able to understand the teacher. It has given him a love for math and a love for the thrill of figuring out the next math puzzle.

HTH,

Dee

ps the author is amazing with getting back to any and all questions and you can call him as well. His wife is so sweet, too!

pps Sure, he actually recommended Chalk Dust Geometry for a studious child who wanted a challenge. He recommended Math U See for a child who needed the basics, but still wanted proofs. He also mentioned that there was very little proof work on either test, the ACT and the SAT. He mentioned a few others, but I can't remember them now. PM me and I'll get back to you because I have it in an email. ;)

Thanks so much, Dee! I guess I'll just start collecting the program a module at a time as I can. I don't know that they are going out of business, I just wondered how they would continue with so few using the program. I certainly have the time to do that. I will definitely get the dvds.

It's great to hear how it gave your son a love of math!

Thanks again!

Lisa

Julie -

Thanks for finding the e-mail address for me. I'd much rather e-mail than call. I can't get the sample video to work. I see the big words "Sample Video", but there's nothing under it but a big blank space. It may be that I need to make some updates on my computer.

Thanks again for all the info!

Lisa

Lisa,

It's on YouTube:

Are you able to watch that? You probably need one of the media players, like Windows Media or Real Player? Or, maybe you have a protection system on your computer?

Julie

Lisa,

It's on YouTube:

Are you able to watch that? You probably need one of the media players, like Windows Media or Real Player? Or, maybe you have a protection system on your computer?

Julie

Julie,

Yes, that worked for me. Thank you so much!

Lisa

Lisa,

Julie

Dee

hello,

i think the price is very steep, and am wondering if a dc who had pre-algebra down could just skip phase 1. any thoughts on this?:bigear:

also, do i understand from reading his site, that MR operates w/o the help of a parent?:o:rolleyes:

i absolutely love the idea of an algebra teacher teaching only algebra-makes sense!

~tia

hello,

i think the price is very steep, and am wondering if a dc who had pre-algebra down could just skip phase 1. any thoughts on this?:bigear:

also, do i understand from reading his site, that MR operates w/o the help of a parent?:o:rolleyes:

i absolutely love the idea of an algebra teacher teaching only algebra-makes sense!

~tia

Hmm, I don't consider the price steep. I've purchased from TT, Jacob's, and MUS, and all are about the same as Math Relief, I think?

About skipping phase one, I think you're right that a lot will be easy and maybe all problems won't need to be done. My mathy-youngest didn't need to do all the problems. However, I do *really* like the way Mr. Firebaugh starts out. He teaches what all parts of a "term" are (even if they aren't there, they are assumed, like a coefficient of 1), and then teaches by just moving terms around an equation.

You know, I'd email Mr. Firebaugh about that. He always answers my questions quickly and well.

As for parent involvement, really mine has been minimal. However, I would not want to leave the impression that it's been nonexistant. Over the years, my kids always had bumps in math (public schooled or homeschooled), where I sat down and figured out what they were missing and went over that piece --sometimes more than a few times. My youngest used MR Algebra 1 last year, and somehow he was missing a piece in distribution (and he's on a math team and does math all over the place -- how could he miss that?!). Also, there was a piece of building the quadratic equation where it just wasn't sinking in. But generally he did it on his own and used the answer key when he got stuck. Mr. Firebaugh discusses using the answer key (and avoiding the temptation to over-use) with the students in his video. We call him the Mr. Rogers of math :)

Julie

Geometry portion of the program? Can you elaborate? Am I missing something? I thought Math Relief didn't have a geometry program? I know that he interwove much geometry throughout Algebra 2???

Please let me know???

Dee

We have phase 1 of geometry from way back on VHS. Mr. Firebaugh has offered some geometry off-and-on over the years. When I got it, it wasn't complete, and they were investing a lot in the transition from VHS to DVD so they set it aside to focus on Algebra. I think I found out about it via an offer in the mail after we had ordered Algebra I? Anyways, oldest dd never finished & youngest is using Jacobs Geometry this year, so I don't know if it goes beyond Algebra 2 or not. I'd contact them.

Julie

Hmm, I don't consider the price steep. I've purchased from TT, Jacob's, and MUS, and all are about the same as Math Relief, I think?

About skipping phase one, I think you're right that a lot will be easy and maybe all problems won't need to be done. My mathy-youngest didn't need to do all the problems. However, I do *really* like the way Mr. Firebaugh starts out. He teaches what all parts of a "term" are (even if they aren't there, they are assumed, like a coefficient of 1), and then teaches by just moving terms around an equation.

You know, I'd email Mr. Firebaugh about that. He always answers my questions quickly and well.

As for parent involvement, really mine has been minimal. However, I would not want to leave the impression that it's been nonexistant. Over the years, my kids always had bumps in math (public schooled or homeschooled), where I sat down and figured out what they were missing and went over that piece --sometimes more than a few times. My youngest used MR Algebra 1 last year, and somehow he was missing a piece in distribution (and he's on a math team and does math all over the place -- how could he miss that?!). Also, there was a piece of building the quadratic equation where it just wasn't sinking in. But generally he did it on his own and used the answer key when he got stuck. Mr. Firebaugh discusses using the answer key (and avoiding the temptation to over-use) with the students in his video. We call him the Mr. Rogers of math :)

Julie

i did email him, and he promptly replied! :)

he said that a dc doesn't really need to know much math at all to start his algebra 1. he covers it all and said basically what you have written-right from the start he introduces terminology and to get the full benefit from his curriculum it is best to start from day one.

about parent involvement. he said it is not necessary for a parent to be a part of the instruction at all, though definitely for monitoring.

as for price, i was going by the dvds-at $79 each for 3-that is around $240 for one course of algebra. however, each can be bought as needed-no need to fork out the entire $240 at one time. more than TT, less than CD and BJU. much more than Lial's.:glare: