Menu

I'm considering going back to wheat. . .

Sorry for you!! With my daughter "just" allergic to peanuts and some nuts, I know it's hard!! If you had the other stuff, too, it'd have to be even harder. I have no idea about how much wheat before you could tell.... I have friends who have done the "gut cleansing" diet and other things... I wonder why we are having such a problem with food...

Also, what is OAS? My daughter and I aren't able to eat some fruits and veggies raw.... (mouth itches... throat problems...eeeek...) Just curious about that :)

New Year's Eve, the family decided to go to the grocery store and each pick out an item we were craving, but haven't touched in 6 months. It was so nice not to have to cook and none of us had reactions, not immediate, not the next day.

I think you answered your own question. I would be careful to only add one allergen back in at a time so you can keep track of any reaction, but I would continue trying them out. If they start causing problems in the summer you can eliminate them again for the season.

I still remember the immense relief when our GFCF trial was over and the boys didn't show any improvement on the diet or any regression coming off. It makes life so much easier to be able to eat a more typical diet. I was glad I tried the diet and could check that box off, but I was even gladder that we wouldn't have to follow it for the rest of our lives.

Enjoy your dietary freedom!

Yes... that's us :) I did look at some info from a local Insurance Company here, "Kaiser" ;) But forgot that it had a name... I also get itchy when eating ....raw almonds.... and other raw nuts. Kinda funny that most of the "good foods" for me are on the "not" list... :( No raw carrots, raw sweet potatoes.... raw nuts... etc...I can have bananas again, now ;) Sucks when you're trying for a healthy diet ;)

I would be careful to start off adding in wheat every 4th or 5th day to start. When we did the allergy rotation diet, we started off with a 5-day food family rotation. After 6 months, we dropped down to a 4-day rotation. Then after three more months, we were just making sure not to eat the same foods two days in a row. After one year, my dd was able to eat anything. She hasn't had any food reactions since then and it's been 16 years (this was for my oldest when she was 2yo).

If you don't have any problems with having wheat every 4 or 5 days, then drop it down to every 3 or 4 days. I'd probably give it at least 2-3 weeks at each level.

I, too, would suggest every 4 days. That gives you time to pinpoint a reaction. There is also a theory that you're less likely to develop new allergies if you eat classes of food only every 4 days. So this might ease the body into it so that it's less likely to react. My son outgrew a dairy allergy (yay!!) and I did ease him in like that. We did every four days for quite a while and then slowly more often. He eats yogurt every day now and cheese a few days a week and we've had no sign of reaction.

We're dealing with lots of varied allergies too and it is difficult. :grouphug: It has been so much easier now that this child can do dairy. I hope the wheat is a lasting "go" for everyone!