Menu

Reading, dyslexia, and children who do not care for books?

rafiki

For my dyslexic dd, I require 30 minutes per day, but I allow her to choose whatever she wants. She is passionate about a few series: Warriors (Erin Hunter), Hunger Games (Susan Collins), Roar (Clayton), everything by Rick Riordan.

eta:

The 30 minutes/day is how much she has to actually read. She used to listen to 20 hours/week or more of audiobooks, but she rarely listens to them anymore.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

This is what I do for my 11yo moderate-severe dyslexic. Ds has school work that has plenty of reading, which includes read-aloud practice with me along with levelized readers and he does remedial work (Wilson). So I don't require extra reading that I choose, but I do require "pleasure" reading.

With that, I kill two birds with one stone. First I suggest a couple of high interest fiction book and ds chooses one (Ranger's Apprentice series are big here right now), and I then require ds to read text along with audio for an hour, and because the stories are compelling, he usually ends up reading (along with audio) for much more per day.

We have been doing this for almost 3 months and I have seen some big improvements in fluency, spelling awareness and decoding (although I think the Wilson is more of a credit for decoding).

After that, ds has a huge library of audio books that we have put on his iTouch that he tends to listen to at bedtime...again, he chooses and I don't require. This for him is the most pleasurable way to have books so he tends to gravitate to this naturally.

I think you want to expose your son to as much written word as possible to enrich vocabulary and enhance reading/ writing skills. At this stage, while you are still working on skills, I would be looking for ways that will ease his reading until his skills are more advanced and still provide some degree of enjoyment. If that is reading non-fiction, absolutely. I would probably even let him re-listen to books that he enjoyed.

I would probably set a period of time for him to have "pleasure reading time". I think, if it is something that is still hard and not overly enjoyable...I would start at 10 min for a 3rd grader...bumping up over time to at least 30 min/ day. But again, I would encourage looking for ways to make it enjoyable.

My only two bits here is that you let your son read what he likes. If he likes non-fiction, let him read that. Most kids are on the other end of the scale and are actually deficient in non-fiction reading and background (my dd is like this). I'd be thrilled that he likes non-fiction and do everything to foster that for his pleasure reading and for school as well. There is absolutely no rule that says a kid has to read fiction.

As he gets older, you'll start finding more non-fiction audiobooks too. They have been so expensive in the past but are now starting to be more affordable if you download them.

I would highly recommend

www.myaudioschool.com

There are many things that are fee, and the yearly subscription is minimal.

Things are devided into time period, which is great for Classical. It was created and maintained by a mom who has a severely dyslexic child using TOG.

I have heard it said that the more exposure to good language and literature, by whatever "port" necessary the better.

hth

Monique