Menu

Auditory learners

:lurk5:

Interesting question. I hope you find an answer.

I'm very sympathetic to this type of problem. I have one with supposedly excellent verbal skills, according to a professional evaluation, who is absolutely not an auditory learner and has some weaknesses with reading comprehension, too.

Just personal opinion here - no real evidence to back it up other than ancedotal.

I would say that someone with poor listening/attention skills could still be an auditory learner. I have known people with hearing loss (myself included) that are auditory learners, although my hearing loss developed in adulthood. Quite challenging in some ways because I am used to listening for information, but in other ways quite handy - I can listen to a presentation and focus completely on the speaker (which I have to do to be able to hear/speech-read/understand anything even using assisted listening devices) and not worry about taking notes or watching the Power Point as much.

However when you include "weak auditory comprehension" I would say no. To me that is the definition of an auditory learner - one that learns new information easily from auditory input.

Once the attention is focused and they truly hear the information, are they able to retain the meaning without having to "see" (visual learner) or "do" (kinesthetic learner)?

Well, I can say that on the opposite side of the spectrum, I have a strongly visual learner (with weak auditory skills) who had a visual processing disorder! Poor thing...nothing was getting through until we did VT, but she's okay now. So, based on that I'd say it is possible to be an auditory learner and possibly have an auditory processing disorder or the like.

Good luck figuring him out! ;)

I've wondered something similar -

Can you have an auditory learner that is really sensitive to sound (headaches, distraction, etc.) and prefers no sound at all? And hates audio books?

Or - Can you have a hands-on learner that doesn't move or wiggle at all? Can they like to build and be good with building things, and appear to learn this way, but prefer to sit still?

Still trying to figure out my 10yo after all these years. The best I can come up with is that she is a visual-auditory-hands-on girl, lol. She's never really fit the description for any of the learning modalities. She gets frustrated with me because every now and then I hand her a learning style test:)

Good luck and I'm interested in seeing responses!

I've wondered something similar -

Can you have an auditory learner that is really sensitive to sound (headaches, distraction, etc.) and prefers no sound at all? And hates audio books?

This sounds like an auditory learner with some sensory processing issues, as in hypersensitive type. This sounds like me. I've gotten used to audio books, though, for the sake of the dc's education.:D

This sounds like an auditory learner with some sensory processing issues, as in hypersensitive type. This sounds like me. I've gotten used to audio books, though, for the sake of the dc's education.:D

That's my son. He definitely learns best when he hears things, but he's very sensitive to 'noise.' For example, I have to read him his SOTW for him to be able to comprehend/remember it, but if I have Pandora playing in the background or the cats are scratching on their scratching posts, I might as well be the mom/teacher from Charlie Brown. It's useless. CDs in the car are one of the best tools I have for teaching him things, but I have to get the girl interested, too, or he can't remember anything. It's another reason I only homeschool him, because she's constantly making noise and he'd never be able to deal with it.

That's my son. He definitely learns best when he hears things, but he's very sensitive to 'noise.' For example, I have to read him his SOTW for him to be able to comprehend/remember it, but if I have Pandora playing in the background or the cats are scratching on their scratching posts, I might as well be the mom/teacher from Charlie Brown. It's useless. CDs in the car are one of the best tools I have for teaching him things, but I have to get the girl interested, too, or he can't remember anything. It's another reason I only homeschool him, because she's constantly making noise and he'd never be able to deal with it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing this. One dd is starting school Monday. Besides the other complicated issues we are dealing with right now, this dd is a noisy, active, sensory seeker. Meanwhile, I have two others that are so hypersensitive to auditory stimulus that if it gets bad enough they can completely short-circuit and meltdown, and life. stops. When times are good, we can avoid these episodes fairly well, but when unavoidable life challenges come it's harder to manage all of their needs optimally.

Still praying for the Lord to guide us on this one.:001_smile: