Menu

Virginia textbooks full of errors

What exactly do you mean by this?

I knew Virginia taught their own version of history

It seems to me that it is the textbook company that should be hanging its head... in Connecticut.

ETA: deleted statement. I see that the books are being pulled from the classroom.

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

What exactly do you mean by this.[/quote

I'm referring to "state" history requirements. I've dealt with public school in Virginia. They require credits for Virginia government and history. While I find Virginia history interesting, I don't think it's necessary to focus and demand credits for multiple years. I've heard Texas does the same.

Here is a link to the Virginia Standards of Learning. http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/standards_docs/history_socialscience/index.shtml

Don't even get me started on the VA SOLs, which were originally written by a textbook company.

The test have gradually gotten easier over the years which explains how the pass rate continues to go up. It is a DOE snow-job.

Ah. Well, while you may have dealt with public schools in Virginia, I've taught in public schools in Virginia. Virginia history correlates very well with U.S. History, so it is covered in fourth grade as a lead in to U.S. History. I think most U.S. states cover state history.

Virginia doesn't require a year of Virginia Government. It does require a year of Virginia/US Government which looks at the rolls of the State and US representatives and the roles of the various branches of state and federal gov't.

It isn't really the way I would have chosen to teach history, splitting it all up like that. Other states interject their state's history into the proper time period, hence the different versions of U.S. History books that are available to the PS school systems..

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

I've taught history in public school in VA. I know that different people have different views of history and that there are genuinely different valid interpretations. I didn't agree with their interpretation. Probably most key, I didn't think a class with more lessons on American history and government than African, Asian and South American history COMBINED should be called "world history." But, probably more importantly, I also didn't agree with their facts. This is no surprise. I'm most surprised they're pulling the texts, actually.

I've taught history in public school in VA. I know that different people have different views of history and that there are genuinely different valid interpretations. I didn't agree with their interpretation. Probably most key, I didn't think a class with more lessons on American history and government than African, Asian and South American history COMBINED should be called "world history." But, probably more importantly, I also didn't agree with their facts. This is no surprise. I'm most surprised they're pulling the texts, actually.

I taught history, too. I am not surprised that they are pulling the texts. I am sure they are horrified, at least (nearly) every teacher I ever taught with would be horrified.

The issue that you stated above is one of the main reasons that I decided to homeschool, though we do still cover a great deal of (factually accurate) Virginia history.

Ah. Well, while you may have dealt with public schools in Virginia, I've taught in public schools in Virginia. Virginia history correlates very well with U.S. History, so it is covered in fourth grade as a lead in to U.S. History. I think most U.S. states cover state history.

Virginia doesn't require a year of Virginia Government. It does require a year of Virginia/US Government which looks at the rolls of the State and US representatives and the roles of the various branches of state and federal gov't.

It isn't really the way I would have chosen to teach history, splitting it all up like that. Other states interject their state's history into the proper time period, hence the different versions of U.S. History books that are available to the PS school systems..

I hear you. I love local history! Being from Boston I have much respect for Virginia. I feel we have commonalities. Being a military family though I feel neutrality. I don't teach from a "state" point of view. I do look forward to moving back to Virginia and checking out historical sites in person.

:lol:

Also, this is sort of hilarious... I didn't click on the link because I was like... if I read that I'll just be mad. But then I *did* click the link... that's my dh's column he writes for NBC! I'm sure no one else finds that as amusing as me, but I'm sort of cracking up right now.

...Full suits of armor? Really? I am just dying to see the context for that one! Anyone have access to the text? Farrar, can your husband get it?

Probably not. That column is just his side job - he only rarely does original reporting for it.

Full suits of armor. Ha. After reading this though, I'm seeing how easy it must be to write state history textbooks. And if you can do your research on Wikipedia... I'll bet I could knock one out in a day or two. I think I've found my calling!

:lol:

Also, this is sort of hilarious... I didn't click on the link because I was like... if I read that I'll just be mad. But then I *did* click the link... that's my dh's column he writes for NBC! I'm sure no one else finds that as amusing as me, but I'm sort of cracking up right now.

He-he that's great. :)